Question from the new guy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dspin0212

Reaction score
Just put my first batch of cider in to ferment and I have a question. I used motts applejuice and an ale yeast. How dry is that likely to turn out and how do I ensure carbonation and possibly add sweetness at the end

Not sure which yeast you used, but I have used Nottingham in the past. It ferments out with a clean taste and very dry (Final gravity was less than 1.00).

For carbonation, use the same amounts of priming sugar as you would for beer (1 oz per gallon).

As far as back-sweetening, the easy way would probably be to use an artificial sweetener like Splenda or Stevia. Option 2 is to pasteurize and I believe there are threads on HBT on how to do this. If you choose to pasteurize, I do recommend the stove top method. We tried pasteurizing in the dishwasher, which resulted in some bottle bombs and a broken dishwasher :cross:

My last batch using Nottingham stopped at 1.006, so it will be a bit sweeter. Wine yeast usually goes drier than an ale yeast.

How long do I need to let this sit before I bottle?

as long as it takes to get to an SG that you like, could be a week, could be several months, it all depends on temperature, yeast, intended ABV, OG, and intended FG. Hell, even altitude could change fermentation time.

Back