Question for this batch!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HerrHepcat

Reaction score
Here's my batchly question, or in other words, how I fear I may have fouled up this batch.

Working from a 5 gallon recipe, for reasons I don't want to explain, I used way too much water.

I should have used 6.5, I used 7.5.

I've got about 6 gallons in the fermenter instead of the 5 I should have.

I was expecting a SG of over 1.05, I got 1.047.

Is my beer gonna be crappy? (I pitched yeast a few hours ago.)

Not only have you NOT screwed it up, you will have more of that good stuff called beer than you planned on. Now let it sit for 3 weeks to finish and clean it self up. Don't rush it. LOL

In a very simple sense, you just diluted your beer. It will be fine; everything will probably just be tamer about it. But you end up with more beer...pretty sweet!

Unless you have a bigger than average fermenter, keep this batch cool (the cool end of the yeast's preferred range) or set up something to catch the krausen that is going to spill over. Most people would recommend a blow-off tube.

Ahhh... I like all the good news!!!!

It's bubbling away. I'm not too worried about fermenter space. My Primary is a 30L Speidel - LOTS of headspace.

Kräusen is up and gone.

Nice! I have only started using blowoff tubes and I am very happy for obvious reasons - more beer! Cleaning it, now that's another story...

Just a hint, not a suggestion; you can always add more stuff to the beer during the primary or secondary stages. That is, if you are worried about gravity or character for whatever reason, things like boiled extract, lactose, fruit, and dry hops could be included post pitching.

Yeah, I'm already planning caramelized lactose and vanilla at secondary. I may decide to add some more DME, and hop the DME with the half ounce of hops I have left.

That works. I've added sugar for Belgian, hops and LME to underhopped brew. I always keep LME handy to add after the boil if my efficiency is low. Since I boil in a five gallon kettle, usually I'm deciding the amount of top off water to adjust gravity.

Latest posts

Back