Question for that lagerers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dtrain

Reaction score
EDIT: Not sure how to change the subject line--should read "Question for The Lagerers"

A earlier post on cold conditioning got me thinking:

I am currently cold conditioning 10gal of kolsch. Using 2 coolers and some 2" foam covers I made I am able to get the temps to about 38-40 deg F while swapping out 2 frozen 2-L bottles every day or so.

I have read up a bit on lagering and it said that adding some yeast may be necessary for it to carb up in the bottles. While I'm not truly lagering (maybe I really am?) will I need to add yeast to this kolsch in order for it to carb up in the bottles?

Now that I have realized that I can get these temps pretty low, I think I'm going to brew an oktoberfest/marzen.

When I make lagers, I ferment for 3 weeks and cold crash at 33F for 3 weeks. I don't add yeast at bottling time and they carb up fine. I've done this with Pilsners, Schwarzbier, Ocfest, Helles, Rauchbier, all with different yeasts.

Short of filtering or pasteurizing you will always have enough yeast to bottle carb. It may take longer on a really big beer that has conditioned/lagered a long time but they will carb.

GT

I've only had carb problems one time when i was so adamant on having the beer absolutely clear, i lagered it in a walk-in fridge at work for 4 weeks on a higher up shelf and siphoned the beer out on bottling day without disturbing the carboy even the slightest bit, careful to get absolutely NONE of the yeast layer in the bottling bucket. It eventually carbonated anyway, it just took a couple months.

Back