Question for starting a braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkeletorMob

Reaction score
So the fourth recipe I intend upon mixing is a basic braggot. Outlined in how to make mead like a viking by Jereme Zimmerman, the recipe is as follows for a 5 gallon batch:
1.5 gallons of water
6 lbs Amber dry malt extract
2 lbs pale dry extract
6-12 ounces Cascade, US Fuggle and Strachan Ace hops
9-12 lbs honey light-medium bodied
2 packets Lavin d47 or Salfale us 05
2 tsp each of yeast nutrient and energizer or 2 cups of raisins
4-5 gallons of water

Now as I read the instructions it seems pretty straightforward but yet I have two lingering questions.

1. It list two amounts of water,
Am I to assume the 1.5 gallons listed first is what I would be boiling into a wort and the rest is added later down the mix?

2. "Add the hops according to the following schedule (add a bit more to each stage if you're adding extra, keeping in mind the earlier you add them, the more they'll contribute to bittering; the later, the more they'll contribute to aroma):
60 min: 3 ounces
15-30 min: 2 ounces.
Now does that mean every 60 mins I'm adding 3 ounces and then every 15-30 mins I'm also adding 2 more ounces of hops leading to a 3-4 hour boiling time?? That doesn't sound right. If anyone could please explain the hopping schedule to me that would be awesome! I have a lot of common sense but for whatever reason cannot wrap my head around this lol
If it affects advice I like IPA bitterness
Stone iPa
Sculpin ipa
Sierra Nevada pale ale
Would be my go to favorites for a nice bitter ipa (for me)
Thanks in advance for any help and advice!

Your boil will be 60 minutes in length.

Hop Schedule: add 3oz at 60 minutes (start of boil)

then at either 15 or 30 minutes, add the rest.

if you add at 30 you'll get more bitterness, 15 less.

Your boil will be 60 minutes in length.

Hop Schedule: add 3oz at 60 minutes (start of boil)

then at either 15 or 30 minutes, add the rest.

if you add at 30 you'll get more bitterness, 15 less.

Holy crap man thank you, I don't know why my brain couldn't put that together!!!
Sorry you had to point out the sunglasses on my head lol

Not to pick at the recipe but with that much DME and the lower, 9lbs of honey, you're near 1.2 OG ! (1.199 by my calculator). A potential ABV of 23.6%. So either yeast wont get near that, maybe a couple % over D47's listed 14, and maybe 15% out of US05.. but either way you'll have a super sweet FG: 1.06 range.. Granted the hop schedule gives you over 100 IBUs to help balance (at least throwing 3oz cascade for 1hr, plus 3 oz of anything at 30mins).

I'd recommend nutrients in place of raisins for such a huge, shocking environment for the yeast. Starter would be great too.

Thanks Clone!! I'm having my friend stop by this weekend to show me the secret of my hydrometer... I can't get the thing to read. I will keep your points in mind as I have yet to become familiar with all those technicalities. My first 3 recipes are still in the primary ferment and probably won't mix this fourth one until I've had at least a taste to ensure I'm not on any track for spoiling. I much appreciate the advice and thoughts, thank you! I do have a sweettooth but we'll see how that fares with my other recipes I geuss, Who knows I probably mixed junk, I have no idea what I'm doing over here yet... lol

It wouldn't hurt to wait and see how you've been doing with other things before starting up another batch. Especially one with that much honey and other stuff, wont be cheap. I'd hate to see it stall out. From there, dilution would be your best bet.
I think "dessert" sweetness is a FG of 1.02 or higher, so your having triple dessert there. The hops would provide some balance, but that recipe's goal seems like a liquer type drink.. I'd consider EC-1118 maybe since it goes to 18%, but your call..

It wouldn't hurt to wait and see how you've been doing with other things before starting up another batch.

Thanks Clone, I agree! Plus my lady got me a new book with lots of information to answer questions in my head! If you get chance to look, I posted an update on my first post "first batch need advice", it would be really cool if you had confirmation or denial for a troubleshoot gameplan on one of my gallons! Thanks again Clone, have a great night and a happy friday!

Latest posts

Back