Question for Denver Area or Higher Altitude Brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbischoff

Reaction score
I'm new to Denver from Atlanta and recently brewed a pale ale using inland island Northern Cal yeast. OG of the beer was around 1.050 and it has been fermenting at about 67F with no water treatments. Current gravity is 1.010.

Hoping this is enough background info for the question. I'm told the yeast strain is the same as WLP001 but who really knows... It seems the entire yeast cake is hanging out at the top of the carboy rather than settling to the bottom. I'm curious if this is a normal occurrence for high altitude brewing, or if this is perhaps a characteristic of that yeast strain?

I don't have any experience with either of those but I brew at 7000ft and the only difference is water boiling at 198 instead of 212. I've used us-04,05,wb-06, London III as well as a few others and they've all fermented as they should. Hop utilization is the other part of brewing I've heard can be affected at altitude but I don't think it's enough at "normal" elevations and home brew scale

I'm new to Denver from Atlanta and recently brewed a pale ale using inland island Northern Cal yeast. OG of the beer was around 1.050 and it has been fermenting at about 67F with no water treatments. Current gravity is 1.010.

Hoping this is enough background info for the question. I'm told the yeast strain is the same as WLP001 but who really knows... It seems the entire yeast cake is hanging out at the top of the carboy rather than settling to the bottom. I'm curious if this is a normal occurrence for high altitude brewing, or if this is perhaps a characteristic of that yeast strain?

Ive used Inland Island but not nor cal. The activity you discuss is not something Ive experienced with an ale yeast. Im at 5500ft ASL.

Call up Inland Island and ask. Im sure you could get more info.

Welcome to Colorado!

I don't have experience with that yeast but I've used 001 and similar and its always dropped. I wouldn't think elevation is a real issue.

Thanks all. I'll give inland island a call. Beer taste great and is attenuated for sure. I've just never seen that happen before

FWIW - a few batches ago the krausen wouldn't drop so I gave my fermenter a gentle shake and it broke up and dropped within a few days.

Back