Question about yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EZFrag

Reaction score
i bought a milk stout extract kit from Austin Homebrew. Same kit that I had brewed in April, and I wanted to do it again. Without thinking, I hit the reorder button. Well, temperatures were milder in April, and both time I bought Wyeast with a cold pack. When I opened the kit today, the cold pack was actually very warm. My question is, is that yeast dead after riding from Austin, Tx to Monroe, LA in late July heat. Can I brew tomorrow? Or buy some dry yeast and do it next weekend?

i bought a milk stout extract kit from Austin Homebrew. Same kit that I had brewed in April, and I wanted to do it again. Without thinking, I hit the reorder button. Well, temperatures were milder in April, and both time I bought Wyeast with a cold pack. When I opened the kit today, the cold pack was actually very warm. My question is, is that yeast dead after riding from Austin, Tx to Monroe, LA in late July heat. Can I brew tomorrow? Or buy some dry yeast and do it next weekend?
Make a starter. Always have some dry yeast on hand as a backup. In either case you may need to wait until next weekend.

Last edited:
Good time to start saving yeast so you won't have to worry about ordering any more.
I keep it simple and pour the yeast slurry from the bottom of the carboy into a sanitized quart jar. Keep it in the refrigerator and you'll be on the way to having your own yeast bank. I've kept yeast going for years doing this, but most people will recommend starting over after 5-6 runs. I use about half of it for the next batch. If its been more than a few weeks I make a starter with some DME.

I order from halfway across the US, and it's arrived warm in summer and slushy frozen in winter sometimes. I always make starters and I've never had a problem--starters have always shown fermentation and beer has always resulted.

But yeah, make the starter.

Back