question about washed yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toto's

Reaction score
Hello guys,
i did a mistake and racked a beer where OG is 1.083. I though it went well but now fg was 1.53 so that was not finished!!! i miscalculated my yeast pitching.
i did put more yeast after so no problem with that. But before i realized that, i washed my yeast and put it into a jar. So the question : is my yeast depleted or by preparing a DME and put it on a stir plate as usual for my next brew..... will i be able to revive and multiply efficiently my yeast or i should toss it and order a new one?
thank you

You will definitely generate more viable yeast cells if you run a starter on the harvested yeast. If the gravity was only 1.053 when you racked, the yeast was likely in high gear anyway, and not depleted.

How long did you ferment before racking off? and what did you use as an indicator it was time to rack?
Was there any conditions going on that the yeast would quit that early?

I fermented 3 weeks.
I usually always wait 3 weeks and let the yeast do the job.
So no activity any more on the airlock and fermenting at 19 degrees.
I dont test often while in process of fermentation. It's only when i tranfered the beer that i test it with a refractometer that i realized it wasn't finished 😅. For strong beer i usually do a starter but this time i didn't so my Nottingham might have missed some power.
But it's all good now.

So yeast still good if i do a starter.
I just wanted to be sure before i decide to brew again and need this yeast.

If it was fermenting for 3 weeks at 19C something must have stalled fermentation. That's only 68% attenuation.

There may be something wrong with your yeast, it's hard to know. I would definitely do a starter before your next beer and make sure you have growth activity before you commit to brewing.

I quit washing my yeast years ago, I just save the slurry. If its only a week or two since I last used it, I just chuck it in, beyond that, I'll make a starter.

I usually brew 2 beers back to back. I usually make a starter with one and use a new one with the other. I only have 1 stir plate. Would it be safe to make a starter, run it for 24 hours and keep it cool... 13 degrees or 11 degrees and let it sit for 2 days?
Or brew the beer but pitch the yeast 1 or 2 days after? Or pitch a table spoon of my washed yeast to get things started while my starter get ready?
Hopefully i am clear enough 😅😅

Latest posts

Back