Question about using DME for starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesJ

Reaction score
I was planning to make a yeast starter for an AHBS Pumpkin Ale extract kit this week using While Labs liquid yeast. Is it bad to use 1/2 cup of DME from the kit for the starter or is this generally a bad practice. I don't have any other DME around and wanted to brew this soon, maybe tomorrow but I don't want to mess with the starting gravity. I can always bypass making a starter if using the DME from the kit is a bad thing. What do you recommend? Thanks...

If you add the full starter into the beer when you pitch you won't change your OG at all. You will get slightly different hops utilization in the boil but with only half a cup being removed it's so slight it's not worth worrying about.

Your beer will be much better off using a starter and a minutely lower boil gravity than going without the starter and having the correct boil gravity.

Back