Question about using a braided line in Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taco29wps

Reaction score
I have seen some guys use a long braided line in their mash tun cooler conversions. Maybe it's just me, but I don't see the benefit...fluid can't travel through a braided line, right? I would assume that all of the fluid is just being filtered at the outlet valve and the other 3 feet of braided line is a waste.

I'm asking because I'm getting ready to switch from a 10 gal water jug with a braided line to a 70qt coleman. I didn't think I would be able to use the braided line in the larger vessel and i'm afraid I'll just end up with a stuck sparge. Any input from anyone? I'm also considering one of the Bazooka screen screw in things. Anyone having success with one of those in a cooler mash tun? I guess i'm just trying to search an alternative to building a whole brass tubing screen at the bottom of the cooler.

Thanks for any input!

Taco

watch a video on You Tube abd you will see they take the interior of the line out, you will see the entire process

i have a 70 qt cooler and a braided hose. Works like a champ. Havent used my igloo and false bottom in a year, no more stuck sparges.

Well the fluid is not really flowing through the braid, It is flowing through the gap in the grainbed that the braid creates. The grainbed is porous so the wort will be entering the braid along it's entire length.

I used a braid from a 3/4 water heater supply line. It is a heavier wire weave than the ones for a toilet or sink line. I can beat the crap out of it while stirring without much concern.

I would get something that would at least cross the bottom of the cooler end to end.

yes the fine holes and longer the braid is better... I use a fine coper screen tube which is placed inside the course stainless tube thats sold everwhere.... it basically double filters and prevents any grain from entering my small 12v pumps as well and never having a slow of stuck sparge or herms recirculation yet...

Thanks for the input! I guess that makes sense. I'll grab a longer braided hose and stick it in there. I tried doing a couple 10 gallon batches with a 10 gallon cooler and it's difficult to get the amount of water without a triple sparge. Sucked, so I got the 70 qt for $10 from a buddy moving overseas!

Happy brewing!

Taco

BEFORE you do this..... I tried the braded hose idea & it was crap.. esp if you use a lot of stick adjuncts in the mash.
What I did was fit a simple lever style tap to an Eskie ( that's an Australian insolated cooler bin ) & on the inside of said cooler, Zip Tie a coarse stainless steel scourer wool ( soap free one obviously)over the tap hole. the coarse wool filters perfectly & quickly even on tricky mashes , where the sparge is slow, you'll still get a constant trickle. I elevate the bin to get best syphon effect too.

Back