Question about tubing diameter and foamy beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I acquired a kegerator, typical small fridge type like they sell at Home Depot. It was set up to work with standard commercial beer kegs. I set about converting it to work with my Cornys. Really not that hard, just take apart the turret and replace the tubing and fittings, then do the same with the pressure regulator. But since I did this, I am getting much more foam than I used to with the old system that was just a hose with the thumb operated valve at the end. The only difference I can think of is that my old system used a thick walled tubing that looked to be about 1/4" ID, where the new tubing I bought is much thinner walled and is 3/8" ID, I believe. It seemed hard to believe that the old hose actually fit on the hose barbs. But it is now hard to fill a pitcher without getting about 2/3 foam, then letting it settle for a while and then filling it more, repeating the process a few times before getting a full pitcher. This is even with keeping the pressure down below 10 PSI. Should I go back to the narrower ID tubing? If so, can you recommend what to buy and where?

If the tubing you bought really is 3/8" ID - or even 1/4" ID - that would be the root cause of your foaming problem. Especially with only ~4 feet of beer line!

Your best bet would be to bite the bullet, take the hit, and replace the beer line with 3/16" ID tubing, using around 10 feet per faucet...

Cheers!

Back