Question about taking Final Gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

breweRN

Reaction score
So, I forgot to take my final gravity. In hopes to save myself, I used the foam that was left over from aerating the wort. I just let the foam turn into liquid and then measured it. My question is, will this give me an accurate FG result?

breweRN said:
So, I forgot to take my final gravity. In hopes to save myself, I used the foam that was left over from aerating the wort. I just let the foam turn into liquid and then measured it. My question is, will this give me an accurate FG result?

If you literally just pitched the yeast and fermentation hasn't started then grab a quick reading. Your reading will only be off if fermentation has already staryed

FG (final gravity) is the gravity reading when the beer is completely done fermenting. OG (original gravity) is the beginning gravity, right before you add the yeast. If your OG reading is in doubt, you can always take one before fermentation begins.

FG (final gravity) is the gravity reading when the beer is completely done fermenting. OG (original gravity) is the beginning gravity, right before you add the yeast. If your OG reading is in doubt, you can always take one before fermentation begins.

Yes yooper, I meant OG. So, I pitched without taking a reading. Used leftover foam in the boil kettle to get OG. Will this be accurate? If I can avoid tinkering with fermenter, that would be good.

I doubt the foam will be accurate unless you are using a refractometer. You got enough foam to drop a hydrometer in? It floated? You can take a sample before fermentation begins.

Since this is the beginners forum I will assume this'd as an extract batch with top off water?

Assuming so and unless you really screwed up your volumes the starting gravity will be what the recipe stated it should be so go with that.

If the recipe did not list it then post the recipe as it should be easy to figure out:)

It's probably an all grain (I have mad ninja search skillz). I see no reason why the foam would be a different gravity than the rest of the wort.

Since this is the beginners forum I will assume this'd as an extract batch with top off water?

Assuming so and unless you really screwed up your volumes the starting gravity will be what the recipe stated it should be so go with that.

If the recipe did not list it then post the recipe as it should be easy to figure out:)

I"m w/doboman. Can't go wrong w/an extract kit. Well at least it's hard to. :mug:

I'm sorry to hear that you don't have the OG on your all grain batch because without that reading you cannot calculate the efficiency nor can you determine the alcohol content when it completes the ferment without an expensive test. I'm sure that your batch is ruined and when it is fermented out and properly bottled you should send it all to me for proper disposal. :D

Unless you really screwed up the batch, it will be beer. I forget to take an OG quite often and I still get beer.

I doubt that a reading of the foam even after it had gone back to a liquid would be accurate. The foam probably has a higher concentration of proteins than the wort.

Back