Question about simultaneous HLT / RIMS control

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

0verdrive

Reaction score
I'm considering going electric, and have been reading a huge number of posts regarding RIMS/HERMS and using a control panel to control the entire brew process. I really like the sort of set-up that the electric brewery uses, but my inclination is to use a RIMS system, rather than HERMS (as Kal uses).

That said, Kal's system seems to be limited, in that it can only power one heating element at a time. It seems to me that I'd want to be able to heat the HLT to my next sparge step temp, while simultaneously powering the MLT RIMS heater to maintain the current temp. However, it looks like most designs will power only one heater at a time.

First, can anyone comment as to whether it's desirable to power both the HLT and MLT RIMS system simultaneously?

Second (if it's desirable) how do you go about providing adequate power to both heating elements? It seems like I should be able to do that with a 4500W HLT element, and a smaller amperage element in the RIMS - but many people here seem to use 240V 4500W heating elements in their RIMS. And since I don't want anything to be under-powered, that's the direction I'd prefer to go as well (if it could be done simultaneously with the HLT)

Any pointers would be appreciated!

I just re-read my question, and am wondering if I may not have explained what I want to do clearly enough.

What I'm trying to do is control the heating elements in both the HLT and MT RIMS system simultaneously. This way I could control the MT temperature consistently, while heating the sparge water at the same time.

My question is: Kal seemed to indicate that it wasn't possible to power two heating elements simultaneously. I'm curious if it would be possible if the RIMS heater is small enough to draw fewer amps, while still being powerful enough to heat the mash.

Any questions/comments/suggestions you guys can offer would be appreciated!

It's all a matter of how much power you have available (amps mehn amps). If you have 2 or 3 double pole 30 amp feeds then you can run more than one 4500w element.

Each element will pull around 18.75 amps at 240v. You would protect that with a 30 amp double pole breaker and 30 amp capable wiring (8 gauge THHN should be good enough).

It's all a matter of how much power you have available (amps mehn amps). If you have 2 or 3 double pole 30 amp feeds then you can run more than one 4500w element.

Each element will pull around 18.75 amps at 240v. You would protect that with a 30 amp double pole breaker and 30 amp capable wiring (8 gauge THHN should be good enough).

I guess I'm trying to run two heating elements from one 30A breaker, if possible. I found the thread listed below where someone else was trying something similar. It looks like he ended up going with a 3500W HLT heater and 2000W RIMS heater which could be run simultaneously, and a 5500W heater (run on its own) for the BK.

Does anyone see a problem with this setup?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/question-about-amp-draw-243248/index2.html#post2889609

Back