Question about semi swamp cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patton191

Reaction score
I recently put my primary in a bucket of water up to about 3 inches below the beer line. My garage is around 70 degrees and I tested the water with my thermometer and it read around 61 degrees. I am trying to keep it in the very low 60s. I tested the water after about 2-3 hours after I filled the bucket up. I am wondering if the water will normally be much lower than the temperature in the room.

Will water normally be cooler than the room? Or was this just because it had only been 2-3 hours?

In Memphis it is around 70 lately and I am wondering if I will need to throw a frozen bottle in the water or should I just let the carboy stay in the water with no ice in it. I am only trying to shave off 9-10 degrees.

Thanks again

Patton

The liquid will take a long time to reach room temperature. If it stays in the low 60's, and that's what you're shooting for, you're good. I'd say keep the frozen bottles handy just in case, but if just water is working, call it a day.

So how long do you think it will take for the liquid around the carboy to become the same temperature as the fermenting beer?

Given that fermentation is going to generate heat, and that your surrounding area is in the 70's, I'd guess about 8 hours. Personally, I probably would have experimented with a carboy full of water before hand to get a feel for things.

Do you have a thermometer on your carboy? You could probably just chuck it into the swam cooler with a t-shirt on it, and guesstimate how much ice, if any, you need.

Well I have a shirt in place and all, but I think I am going to wait to use all of that stuff until it gets hotter. I just went outside and with only water surrounding the fermenter, the temp read 61'F. Which is just about where I want it. If it begins to heat up I have ice and a shirt ready, but is that necessary now do you think, since I have it at around 61?

Back