Question about secondary Fermentation (Begginner)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EliJaunic

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am a beginner at brewing beer. I am on my first batch (Real Ale). It has been 23 Days since I first began to ferment in my primary. The OG was 1.055, it is now at 1.016.

My question is should I rack to a secondary fermenter even though it is still bubbling about every 5-7 seconds and has been at this same steady rate since it started. Please advise.

Sincerely,
-Eli

Just leave it in the primary for another week. Airlock activity means nada. Gravity readings is what really matters.

Eli, I honestly never do a secondary unless I have a reason for doing it (aging, adding fruit, etc). I stay in the primary fermenter until fermentation is complete.

Yeah, leave it in the primary for a little while longer. You actually don't NEED to do a secondary, there are several arguments for and against it. I just mark it down to a personal style choice.
Make sure everything is clean and sanitized, and take a gravity reading every couple of days. Once is levels out for about 3 days straight you can do with it what you please... rack it, bottle it, keg it, put it in a funnel and drink it all on the spot... all up to you!

Latest posts

Back