Question about my yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSbrewer

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter yesterday, but when I cooled the mini wort down I let it drop to 50 F. I tried to leave it out long enough to get back up to 65-70 but I got tired and went ahead and pitched the propagator. I put a rubber glove (didnt have a bung big enough for the starter jar) over the opening and a rubber band around it. Its been in my fridge @ 65-70 for over 24 hrs with no sign of krausen. I am planning to brew some post 4th wit tomorrow, but need to know if I can use this starter or do I need to put it off till I get a little krausen??? the rubber glove is starting to expand a little...Need a little insight...Thanks:confused:

I also have a friend down the street that bought proagator instead of pitchable yeast. Can he just pirch it or is it to low of a cell count

I've only done one starter before, preferring pitchable yeast myself, so I'm not exactly an expert on these matters, but I'm pretty sure that the lower temp will just cause a slower fermentation time. I would let it ride, and go ahead as scheduled.

Don't forget to give it a good stir as often as possible, too !

Shake it up frequently if your not using a stir plate. That adds O2 as well as gets the yeast back in suspention. More then likely until the starter temp gets into the 60's the yeast wont be super active. I would give it time and I am sure they will take off

So don I need to let it sit in the starter longer or just pitch what I have tomorrow and expect slower primary

If you dont have any activity by tomorrow morning, I would run to the LHBS and buy some more yeast. Pitching two tubes (even though it cost more $$) is a safe bet you have enough yeast for up to 060 beer.

However, some people would say pitch what you have. The temp you pitched at isnt super harmful to the yeast.

Move it to a warmer place today, and check for activity tomorrow

Back