Question about low sidearms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessox80

Reaction score
My second-year newports are growing rapidly and have started to produce sidearms; The bines are over 8' and those arms at about 2' high are getting very long.
Should I let these low gals grow or prune them? I already pruned some of the lower leaves to promote good airflow/prevent infestation at the base of the plant. My low sidearms last year did not produce cones (in fact, sidearm growth last year stared at higher than 5' when the bines were maybe 10', sometime in late June/early July).
Thanks in advance for any advice, just looking to maximize yield and limit the plant using energy "fruitlessly."

I'd train the lower side arms around the twine. They tend to grow longer when they can climb, which may translate into more hops. I wouldn't ever trim side arm growth...no matter how low they are...

If you have time to train them, train them. I find they just tend to get in the way while pulling weeds and doing other general maintenance. Like you said, they produce few if any hops and will tend to add to the probability of disease development by hindering air flow near the crown. I cut all mine back for that reason alone. Just me though. You're the boss!

I buried the low side arms after I stripped the leaves off. After 2 weeks the buried section had roots and I severed it from the plant. I then had a new plant to give away to friends or to keep for next year.

Right on. I suppose that's possible but it's a lot easier just to take one of the excess shoots (one that would have been removed after the others have been trained) and throw a little soil over it. A few days later, the growing tip will emerge. Just throw some more soil on it for another cycle or two and then sever it from the crown. It'll be loaded with feeder roots and ready for replanting. Hoppy Trails!

Back