Question about Imperial Beer Styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcjake

Reaction score
Are there any rules as far as OG, FG, SRM and IBU to brewing an Imperial style beer? Or is it just a matter of brewing a big beer?

Lately, it seems like the term "Imperial" is being subjectively tossed around quite liberally to describe anything with a bigger-than-style OG or BU value. That is, if there isn't already a category for the Imperial whateveryougot, like jacksonbrown said.

Lately, it seems like the term "Imperial" is being subjectively tossed around quite liberally to describe anything with a bigger-than-style OG or BU value. That is, if there isn't already a category for the Imperial whateveryougot, like jacksonbrown said.

That's kind of what I think I'm looking at. In fact, I wasn't shooting for an Imperial beer. I'm just worried I made one.

I did my first all grain batch this weekend. We used a generic wheat recipe from our local homebrew store. They said that it included extra grain in the recipe to account for the fact that beginning all grain brewers will get a really low efficiency. Well we got 87% efficiency. And then when we were boiling down the wort volume we accidently boiled it down to 4.8 (ish) instead of the 5 - 5.5. gallons we were looking for. Our OG ended up being 1.067 (BJCP says it should be 1.040 - 1.055).

It's only been in the fermenter for 4 days but if I used it properly beercalculus.hopville.com says I will have a final gravity of 1.016 - 1.019 (BJCP says 1.008 - 1.013) with an IBU of 34.8 (BJCP says it should be below 30).

So, the question now is assuming that beercalculus.hopville.com is correct, what the hell do I have in my fermenter? Is it just a badly made wheat? An Imperial Wheat? What should I expect out of it?:confused:

Me thinks u should chill. are U a stickler for the style? worst thing that comes out of it is a little stronger in Alc. and a little hoppier than the style says. hell, u may even like it

Me thinks u should chill. are U a stickler for the style? worst thing that comes out of it is a little stronger in Alc. and a little hoppier than the style says. hell, u may even like it

No not too much of a stickler for the style (although I do enjoy wheat beers). I get nervous about my beer when it's fermenting and conditioning. God, I can't imagine what it will be like when my wife and I have children. I'm sure I will be up all night looking at ultra sound pictures looking for tails.

More hops and booze is always a good thing.

You know some microbrewery is going to end up making an imperial wheat. Maybe an imperial brown ale too.

Hmm actually now I'm starting to wonder what those might taste like. Maybe I'll try making one.

Could I boost the original gravity of a brown ale and keep the same basic flavor and color?

Clearly I'm not an expert at brewing. But I think if you wanted to boost the gravity of a brew to imperial style levels you are going to want to increase the hops a little bit to balance it out.

New Glarus Brewing Co., in WI, had an Imperial Weizen as one of their Unplugged series last year. I loved it. I think it was around 10%, but I could be off on that number. It was hard to remember things after a couple of those.

Back