Kveik Lutra at 75: Headaches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about to brew an imperial stout at 1.084. I am going to try Lutra to see if I can get away with one packet of yeast.

Question: hype aside, can I really hope for a good result at room temperature (75)? Not just the absence of weird flavors, but also the absence of heavy alcohols that blow my skull open?

I'm about to brew an imperial stout at 1.084. I am going to try Lutra to see if I can get away with one packet of yeast.

Question: hype aside, can I really hope for a good result at room temperature (75)? Not just the absence of weird flavors, but also the absence of heavy alcohols that blow my skull open?
You can even go much higher. Stop chilling your wort at about 32 Celsius and just throw the yeast in, wrap the fermenter in a blanket or isolate it another way to keep it warm. Two days later, fermentation is probably already done. I've done this with multiple kveiks. No fusels whatsoever. You should also be good with using only half a pack. But using the whole certainly won't hurt.

It will taste like kveik though, because it's a kveik.

You can get away with using one pack of any yeast to ferment any wort really. If you make a starter first or, even better, a half-batch of beer then pitch the imperial wort on top of the fresh cake. I quite like WLP007 for this kind of thing. I’m not sure about kveik, but as moonshine/distiller’s yeast, fermentation shouldn’t be a problem.

I've found that if I pitch the Lutra at standard ale pitch rates ,aerate for the OG,and ferment at ~75* gives me beers that are clean,ale like and have none of the Kveik offness people state.
I think that chilling above cold break temps might be one of the processes that contribute to the TANG,so I chill to 68* then pitch and heat to 75*.

I've found that if I pitch the Lutra at standard ale pitch rates ,aerate for the OG,and ferment at ~75* gives me beers that are clean,ale like and have none of the Kveik offness people state.
I think that chilling above cold break temps might be one of the processes that contribute to the TANG,so I chill to 68* then pitch and heat to 75*.
How long have you kept it? I've had a hoppy red ale with lutra that didn't show any signs of kveikness for the first few weeks but after some time, it came through.

My beers tend to be 6-8 weeks from brew day to tap and last about 2 months on tap. One of the impressive traits of Kveik for me is that the beer remains the same thru out the life of the keg. I notice this the most on my Voss IPA''s as that's my go to yeast. The hop presence is pretty much the same for the entire keg.

I don't know what the weather is like where you are from but where I live it regularly gets into the mid 80s to 90's in the summer time. I reserve the use of Kveik yeasts to that time of year. I try to aim for temperatures around 90°+F and have had Kveik yeasts take off within hours and finish within a few days.

Back