Question about ferment temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a spot in my computer room that has ceramic tile on the floor. The temperature of the tile is about 61 degrees measured with a stem thermometer sitting on the tile. The temperature of the air in this area is currently about 68-69 degrees using the same thermometer.

If I brew a batch and put the plastic fermenter on the floor would this cause the temp to drop a little, or should I figure that the temp will remain close to the ambient temp. I know that the fermentation will cause a rise in temp. Using Safale 04 as yeast in a sweet stout kit.

Should I be ok fermenting in this temp range? I am not set up to control temperature any better than using this spot at the current time. I will have a refrigerator that I can put a temp controller on in the future, but I need to get a batch going before doing that!

Thanks in advance.

Ideal temperature for that yeast is 59-68, but their website says you can go up to 77, so I'm thinking you should wrap a wet towel around your fermenter and you will be fine. The temperature can rise up to 10 degrees during fermentation, but keeping that towel wet and maybe even blowing a fan on it will keep you where you need to be.

Back