Question about Corny Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KC10Chief

Reaction score
A friend of mine recently came across 15 corny kegs that some restaurant was just throwing away. He took them and gave me three of them. When I got them, they all had some sort of soda in them. They all had a lot of pressure on them, so they aren't leaking. I drained the pressure and opened them up to find Coke and Dr. Pepper in them. I cleaned them all out and they look great on the inside. Is there any difference between a soda keg and a beer keg? They each have two nipples on them. I plan to use them in a kegerator. Anything special I need to do? They are each 22.5" tall and 9" in diameter. Those are the sizes that people use in a mini fridge, right?

those are the corney kegs we all use. are they ball-lock or pin-lock? ball-locks comprise about 80% or so of what's out there. if they're ball-lock, they're exactly what you need, no modifications. if they're pin-lock, just make sure you get the connectors for that. look on the internet to get pictures of ball- vs pin-lock

http://stores.kegconnection.com/StoreFront.bok

They sell everything you need. I ordered light on my poppets (to switch them all out) also I am getting some kind of cleaner that gets the stone out of them (I am guessing it is the residue that I have in two or so of them). Lots of pic, and you get to price what you got free, nice work!

those are the corney kegs we all use. are they ball-lock or pin-lock? ball-locks comprise about 80% or so of what's out there. if they're ball-lock, they're exactly what you need, no modifications. if they're pin-lock, just make sure you get the connectors for that. look on the internet to get pictures of ball- vs pin-lock

I think mine are pin lock. Not sure though. I'm assuming that I can change the connectors out on the kegs, right? Here's a pic of one of my connectors.

DSC01316.jpg

yep. pin-lock definitely. as far as i know, the pin- vs ball-lock isn't interchangeable, you just have to get the right connectors. not usually more expensive or anything, just make sure you know and specify

Since you asked about anything special you should do... you should replace the o-rings and use keg lube on the new ones to set your seals.

Good score on the kegs.

I'm pretty sure that pepsi = ball lock and coke = pin lock, at least that's what I've seen everywhere I've looked.

Is it possible that Dr. Pepper can come in both? I know the Dr. Pepper keg I have is ball lock.

You can switch your kegs from pin lock to ball lock and vice versa. You just need to take the posts off and switch them for the other type. It doesn't really matter though most people prefer to have all of one type. Pin lock kegs are shorter and wider than the taller and narrower ball locks. In the photo below, pin locks are on the left and ball locks on the right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_keg

Coneliuskeg.jpg

Got any extras for a brewer in Kodiak!?

Good score! What restaurant?

Sorry! I don't have any more! The guy that got them for me, got them from a restaurant in Oklahoma City. I'm not sure which one. I happened to be there last week on a TDY (I'm in the Air Force). I loaded them up on our plane (E-3), and flew them back to Alaska with me!

Thanks for the help guys! Two of the kegs actually had tags on them. One said Coke, and one said Dr. Pepper. The other one had what looked and smelled like 7up in it. Maybe Sprite. I never drink soft drinks, so I'm not sure which. Still, it looks like a good score to me! A friend of mine that is moving down to the lower 48, is giving me his two CO2 bottles and hoses! Now, I just need a free fridge and a tap tower! Anybody want to just give their stuff away? :D :mug:

I'm pretty sure that pepsi = ball lock and coke = pin lock, at least that's what I've seen everywhere I've looked.

Is it possible that Dr. Pepper can come in both? I know the Dr. Pepper keg I have is ball lock.

You can switch your kegs from pin lock to ball lock and vice versa. You just need to take the posts off and switch them for the other type. It doesn't really matter though most people prefer to have all of one type. Pin lock kegs are shorter and wider than the taller and narrower ball locks. In the photo below, pin locks are on the left and ball locks on the right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelius_keg

weird that dr pepper would ever have a pin lock. its a pepsi product

Be careful with this, yes some kegs can be swapped over by changing the posts between pin/ball lock but each different type of keg (cornelius/firstone/spartan) have different threads for their posts so you have to check they are the same thread otherwise you are going to wreck the thread. (oh and some have differnet threads for the in/out on the same keg to stop you switching the post by mistake).

weird that dr pepper would ever have a pin lock. its a pepsi product

Coke distributes DP in Arizona. Pepsi and Coke have to land a contract as DP is a third party brand. Good Luck on your fridge and thanks for serving!

Cornelius/Spartan/SuperChampion is 19/32"-18 thread for both the in and out.

Firestone/Challenger/SuperChallenger is 9/16"-18 Gas and 5/8"-18 Bev.

Easiest way to find out I see is to try to swap the gas and bev posts to see if they are (swappable).

I have some extra disconnects you can have. Send me a pm

That's really cool of you Shelly. Since KC10 is after pin locks I'll go on record as saying that if anyone has any extra ball lock QDs they don't need you can feel more than free to send them to me and I'll promise to give them a good home. :mug:

Latest posts

Back