Question about Carbonate reducing solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I check and re-check this (all of the above) my confidence in it is steadily increasing. I had initially feared my concentrated acid mL calculations whereby to formulate a work-alike for CRS to be orders of magnitude off due to finding this below linked AJ deLange post (Click on 'Crs' in orange below to go to the referenced post, which I also quote below), but now I believe the error lies within the linked post and not within my work as seen above:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/crs.387641/post-4873866Quote:
To 950 mL of DI water add 0.051 mL 96% sulfuric acid and 0.148 mL 23 Be' hydrochloric acid. Make up to 1 L.
AJ deLange

Last edited:
Based upon a thread in a UK forum it appears that AMS/CRS is not likely quite equinormal as has often been presumed here in the States, as the speculation in the UK forum is that it is produced via making up 20 Winchesters of concentrated H2SO4 and 60 Winchesters of concentrated HCl to 1,000 Liters with water.

Per Wikipedia a standardized Winchester is 2.5 Liters.

Using my HCl and H2SO4 blends calculator and the UK speculation and my best guesses as to the analyticals for the two concentrated acids I've derived the following:

The H2SO4 components strength is nominally ~1.84223 mEq/mL (vs. my earlier equinormal presumption of 1.83)
The HCl components strength is nominally ~1.81307 mEq/mL (vs. my earlier equinormal presumption of 1.83)
The combined overall acid strength is ~3.6553 mEq/mL (vs. my earlier presumption of 3.66)
1mL added to 1 Liter of DI water contributes ~88.4844 mg/L (ppm) of SO4-- ions
1mL added to 1 Liter of DI water contributes ~64.2788 mg/L (ppm) of Cl- ions

To make up 1 Liter:
50 mL of 98% H2SO4
150 mL of 37.2% HCl
DI Water to 1 Liter of total volume
(CAUTION and WARNING: never never never add water to acid!!! It will immediately boil and splash/splatter!!!)

Back