Question about bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasteeler

Reaction score
I just bottled my first time with real bottles, not Mr Beer bottles, and had a quick question. My process went like this.

I would take one bottle, submerge it in Star San, pictures know another bottle out and empty it. I would fill it from the bottling bucket, cap it, then start all over. It gave me a contact time of 1.5 to 2 minutes.
While I was just finishing up my wife asks if I should rinse the bottles prior to filling. Her point was if the Star San is a sanitizer, won't it kill the yeast needed to carbinate? The more I think about it the more sense it makes. Need to know if it will be fine because I'll have another batch ready to bottle next weekend.

It is my understanding that star San will basically just become food for the yeast and there is no need to rinse after applying. That same thought went through my head when I first used it.

Yup, the yeast will eat and you will have bubbles. I'm sure someone can explain it better but the bottom line is dont fear the foam

I don't think you need to worry about residual foam from the starsan. However, I wouldn't let there be pure sanitizer sitting in the bottles. I usually dunk about 6 bottles at a time. I then just re-pour the sanitizer back into the bucket and put the bottles up-side-down on a drying rack. Works good and I bet you could cut some time off your bottling time. Also, try to clean the bottles after use.

I think the beer (specifically the water, sugar and alcohol) basically neutralize the acid in the starsan solution and turn it into a bi-product that the yeast can eat. At least that is how I understand it.....

Thanks all.. I thought I read somewhere that it was OK to bottle on foam, but that damn woman got in my head. And yes, cleaned and de-labeled with Oxy-clean a few hours earlier.

Get a Vinator! It's worth 100 times it's weight in gold in my opinion. Cut my bottle time in half, if not better...

It's called "no rinse" for a reason. It's fine. I do it all the time when I keg. Foam coming out everywhere.

I just run my bottles through the dishwasher w/o detergent and with the heat on. Sanitizes them and they come out dry.

FattySparks said:
I just run my bottles through the dishwasher w/o detergent and with the heat on. Sanitizes them and they come out dry.

And they are all lined up to be filled.

Back