Question about Bottle Conditioning in my first-ever Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kunal Vanjare

Reaction score
Hello guys,

So my first ever BIAB homebrew, which was a 5L Citra IPA is in bottling now for around 36 hours. This morning I saw some bubbles on the surface of the beer. I am using swing top bottles and at a temperature of around 19-20 degrees C.

I hit my OG perfectly, which was around 1.05. But after 2 weeks of fermentation, I decided to check my FG which was at 1.03, whereas the recipe called for an FG of around 1.015.

I never got any airlock activity because I used a bucket, whose lid wasn't sealed most probably. Also I had around 5 Litres of beer in a 10L bucket.

On bottling day, there were no yeast rafts on the surface, so I assumed the fermentation was over.

Also, I miscalculated the priming sugar quantity because I lost around a litre of my beer due to trub losses (i expected to lose around half a litre).

Hope I have not created bottle bombs here :(

Are bubbles during bottle conditioning normal? How long do they normally last? When should I be worried?

Also, I am out of town for work starting from 14-18 December. Should I just put them in a box because there won't be anyone to keep an eye on the progress and I dont want beer all over my room (if it does explode :confused:)

I have also filled about half a litre in a PET bottle so as to be able to check the carbonation level. Might just open it up next week and taste the beer.

Last edited:
A FG of 1.030 is really much too high for a beer starting at 1.050... to me it seems fermentation was not over yet.
At what of a temperature were you fermenting the beer during those two weeks.
How much yeast did you pitch?
Did you check on yeast activity before pitching?

It could be multiple issues, but you most probably bottled this beer way too early. I would now open a bottle at regular intervals (say, every 2-3 days or so) to check on carbonation. You will still probably not get bottle bombs (at least not within 4-5 days) if the beer finished fermenting more or less at the same temperature you are now bottle conditioning, but you never know...

Good luck!

if you used a refractometer to check for final gravity the 1.030 reading is probably OK but if you used a hydrometer and it showed that high you have problems. The refractometer will not read accurately with alcohol present and needs a correction calculation.

A FG of 1.030 is really much too high for a beer starting at 1.050... to me it seems fermentation was not over yet.
At what of a temperature were you fermenting the beer during those two weeks.
How much yeast did you pitch?
Did you check on yeast activity before pitching?

It could be multiple issues, but you most probably bottled this beer way too early. I would now open a bottle at regular intervals (say, every 2-3 days or so) to check on carbonation. You will still probably not get bottle bombs (at least not within 4-5 days) if the beer finished fermenting more or less at the same temperature you are now bottle conditioning, but you never know...

Good luck!

I was fermenting at 21-22 degrees C (and bottling at 19-20 degs). I pitched about 2.5 grams of yeast. I didn't check any yeast activity before pitching tbh, just dumped the yeast powder into the wort.

To check carbonation, I have to open the bottle and pour some beer into a glass right? Can I then close that same bottle again or is there no point in doing that?

No bottle bombs within 4-5 days? I am here till tomorrow (when it would have completed 3 days in the bottles), then unavailable for the next 4-5 days. How do I salvage this situation? A little worried now...

if you used a refractometer to check for final gravity the 1.030 reading is probably OK but if you used a hydrometer and it showed that high you have problems. The refractometer will not read accurately with alcohol present and needs a correction calculation.
I did use a refractometer, but I used the calculator on Brewer's Friend to arrive at the Gravity reading

I cannot garantee you won't have bottle bombs in 4-5 days, but most probably not.
If you indeed fermented at 21-22 °C for two weeks, then fermentation got stalled for whatever reason. A healthy fermentation should be finished by that time (or at least mostly finished).
It is unlikely that it will now kick-start again in the bottles, whithin just a few days, if those are kept at the same temperature.
And IME and from what I read, those massive swing-top bottles can stand some pressure.

That being said, it's always better to be cautious.
Can you ask someone else to check at least once on those bottles while you're away?

No need to pour beer in a glass for such a check. Just opening the cap will tell you wheter there is carbonation or not.
If it pops, then there is carbonation. If the beer start gushing out, then there is too much carboation and you better start opening also the other bottles.

If you indeed fermented at 21-22 °C for two weeks, then fermentation got stalled for whatever reason. A healthy fermentation should be finished by that time (or at least mostly finished).

Why would fermentation stall? If fermentation wouldn't kickstart again in the bottles, is there any way I can somehow salvage the situation? There are some bubbles on the surface of the beer as seen last night.

Can you ask someone else to check at least once on those bottles while you're away?
I will ask somebody to check the bottles a couple of times I'm away now definitely.

No need to pour beer in a glass for such a check. Just opening the cap will tell you wheter there is carbonation or not.
If it pops, then there is carbonation. If the beer start gushing out, then there is too much carboation and you better start opening also the other bottles.

If I open the cap and it pops, meaning there is carbonation, do I re-seal the cap?

Last edited:
Why would fermentation stall? If fermentation wouldn't kickstart again in the bottles, is there any way I can somehow salvage the situation? There are some bubbles on the surface of the beer as seen last night.

I should correct myself. It may have not necessarily completely stalled. It could also be that fermentation was still progressing, but very slowly. Either way, it is unlikely you will have a very vigorous fermentation activity now re-starting in the bottles, within just a few days, if kept at the same temperature. But of course, it could well be that your primary fermentation will continue slowly slowly in your bottles. IUn that case, overcarbonation and even bottle bombs could become a real issue in the longer run (weeks / months).

First thing I would chech your FG again and be sure the 1.030 if the real value. If that's the case, I would dump all your bottles back in the fermentor, place it in a warmer place (let's say about 25 °C), and hope for the best that fermentation will finish. You could also add some new fresh yeast to help along.
This of course is going to probably oxidize your beer way too much for it to be still enjoyable afterwards, but it is the only think that comes o my mind to salvage the situation.
I'm pretty sure you won't like the taste of a 1.050 beer finishing at 1.030.

If I open the cap and it pops, meaning there is carbonation, do I re-seal the cap?

Yes you can reseal the cap. You will just lose some carbonation while opening.

Put them in a box and put the box in the refrigerator while you're out of town. That should prevent bottle bombs even if the beer is still fermenting. You can check them when you get back; open one and see what you got, if it's not carbed much shake the others up and put them in a warm place to finish.

The bubbles are normal. There is quite a bit of headspace in those bottles that has to be filled and pressurized before the excess CO2 can start dissolving and building up into your beer. I don't see much bubbles in my beer during bottle conditioning, but I also leave way less headspace...I'll advise you to leave much less headspace next time (keyword: beer oxidation through excess headspace air).

A bit off topic, but I would also avoid transparent bottles if I were you, and use brown bottles instead. They offer a much better protection from light. Especially direct sunlight can rapidly deteriorate beer quality.

Good luck!
Above all, don't be discouraged if your first brew does not turn out the way you wanted it!
It is quite difficult to get it right on the first try, especially an IPA....

Just put them in a plastic bucket or container with a lid, keep them at room temp and off you go.

Don't overcomplicate things. Just be careful when opening the first one when you're back.

The bubbles are normal. There is quite a bit of headspace in those bottles that has to be filled and pressurized before the excess CO2 can start dissolving and building up into your beer. I don't see much bubbles in my beer during bottle conditioning, but I also leave way less headspace...I'll advise you to leave much less headspace next time (keyword: beer oxidation through excess headspace air).
Noted!

A bit off topic, but I would also avoid transparent bottles if I were you, and use brown bottles instead. They offer a much better protection from light. Especially direct sunlight can rapidly deteriorate beer quality.

I wasn't able to get any Amber/Brown bottles. But i've kept the bottles in a fridge, which does not have a light. So these are shielded from light almost all the time, except the few seconds I open the fridge to peek inside.

Okay guys, I'm a bit confused now. I will be leaving tonight, so I need to decide over how to store the bottles for the next 5 days.

I WILL be putting them in a box (maybe 2!). But do I store them in room temp? Or in the fridge (without temperature control i.e)..

I should correct myself. It may have not necessarily completely stalled. It could also be that fermentation was still progressing, but very slowly. Either way, it is unlikely you will have a very vigorous fermentation activity now re-starting in the bottles, within just a few days, if kept at the same temperature. But of course, it could well be that your primary fermentation will continue slowly slowly in your bottles. IUn that case, overcarbonation and even bottle bombs could become a real issue in the longer run (weeks / months).

First thing I would chech your FG again and be sure the 1.030 if the real value. If that's the case, I would dump all your bottles back in the fermentor, place it in a warmer place (let's say about 25 °C), and hope for the best that fermentation will finish. You could also add some new fresh yeast to help along.
This of course is going to probably oxidize your beer way too much for it to be still enjoyable afterwards, but it is the only think that comes o my mind to salvage the situation.
I'm pretty sure you won't like the taste of a 1.050 beer finishing at 1.030.

Yes you can reseal the cap. You will just lose some carbonation while opening.

I am all out of yeast right now! I think I'll just let it sit in the bottles for a week or so, and then open one bottle. It's all part of the learning curve, and I feel like I've learnt so many things in the past 2 weeks :)

I would follow @Miraculix advice and just put them in a container and leave them at the temperature they are right now.
As said it seems highly unlikely you will have bottle bombs developing in those few days.

Then forget also about my advice to put the beer back in the fermenter if you confirm your high FG of 1.030.... It is a small batch and it seems from your video that you just have a few large bottles, right?
Once you get back home, I would just keep an eye on those and see how they develop. I think it is your best bet now. Place them in a warmer spot if you have the possibility and open one periodically to check how carbonation is progressing.
If you are lucky and care to vent out any excess CO2 at regular intervals, the beer may still reach a more desirable FG in the bottles.

Good luck!

I got a packet of repackaged IPA yeast from an online store here in India.
I'm not sure which brand of yeast that is though.
In two weeks, gravity drop is too less. All grain recipes can take 3 weeks easily but even then it doesn't look too good. I suspect the yeast. It'll be good idea to keep PET bottle in warmer conditions & monitor progress - hardness test etc. Put glass bottles in a cooler box or something (minus ice) just to be on the safer side. If there is no progress on PET bottle, perhaps take gravity reading again and then formulate next strategy to save the batch.

I would follow @Miraculix advice and just put them in a container and leave them at the temperature they are right now.
As said it seems highly unlikely you will have bottle bombs developing in those few days.

Then forget also about my advice to put the beer back in the fermenter if you confirm your high FG of 1.030.... It is a small batch and it seems from your video that you just have a few large bottles, right?
Once you get back home, I would just keep an eye on those and see how they develop. I think it is your best bet now. Place them in a warmer spot if you have the possibility and open one periodically to check how carbonation is progressing.
If you are lucky and care to vent out any excess CO2 at regular intervals, the beer may still reach a more desirable FG in the bottles.

Good luck!

I'll do just that. Leave all the bottles into a box or a bucket, and leave them in the fridge at 19-20 degree C. And once I'm back, I'll open the plastic bottle first and see how this has developed.

Basis that, I'll open each bottle every other day and keep updating this thread.

Really hope you are right about the FG dropping in the bottles to some desirable level. Fingers crossed!

In two weeks, gravity drop is too less. All grain recipes can take 3 weeks easily but even then it doesn't look too good. I suspect the yeast. It'll be good idea to keep PET bottle in warmer conditions & monitor progress - hardness test etc. Put glass bottles in a cooler box or something (minus ice) just to be on the safer side. If there is no progress on PET bottle, perhaps take gravity reading again and then formulate next strategy to save the batch.

Yeah even I suspect it was the yeast. But it seems to be carbonating the beer in the bottles right now, so I don't know what really happened during fermentation.

I will keep all the bottles (glass & PET) in my temp controlled fridge at 19-20 degree C, inside a bucket or a box with a Lid.

Once i'm back, i'll open the PET bottle and take a gravity reading. Thanks

Basis that, I'll open each bottle every other day and keep updating this thread.

For me it's not necessary to open each bottle for the test... just pick one and use that as a probe. As suggested the PET bottle will be perfect for this. Start opening the others only once you see excess carbonation in your probe.

So if there is excess carbonation by next week, should I just drink it all and not risk carbonating it further? How does a premature-carbonated beer taste like? Will it be sweet considering fermentation wasn't complete?

So if there is excess carbonation by next week, should I just drink it all and not risk carbonating it further? How does a premature-carbonated beer taste like? Will it be sweet considering fermentation wasn't complete?

I'd say it depends how it tastes to you. If it tastes good enough, I'd say go ahead, refrigerate it to stop further fermentation, and let it condition at least 1-2 more weeks in the fridge. This will help yeast settle and the flavors will meld (I find my bottle conditioned beers, even IPAs, to be at their peak flavor between 4 to 6 weeks post bottling date). Some cold conditioning time will definitely be required, especially if the beer was not done fermenting...

But if it tastes too sweet/sticky, I would try to let it ferment further by opening the bottles every other day to let excess CO2 escape.
Never had to do that myself so I do not have hands-on experience on this, but I see no reason why it could not work... provided fermentation will continue.

I'd say it depends how it tastes to you. If it tastes good enough, I'd say go ahead, refrigerate it to stop further fermentation, and let it condition at least 1-2 more weeks in the fridge. This will help yeast settle and the flavors will meld (I find my bottle conditioned beers, even IPAs, to be at their peak flavor between 4 to 6 weeks post bottling date). Some cold conditioning time will definitely be required, especially if the beer was not done fermenting...

But if it tastes too sweet/sticky, I would try to let it ferment further by opening the bottles every other day to let excess CO2 escape.
Never had to do that myself so I do not have hands-on experience on this, but I see no reason why it could not work... provided fermentation will continue.

Sounds good. Thank you so much. Can't do much right now except have sleepless nights over the next few days haha.

I will update this thread as and when I have any new activity.

Can't do much right now except have sleepless nights over the next few days haha.

Please don't lose your sleep for 5 L of IPA ;-)
Although I understand, it is your first batch and everything is so exciting....I've been there...hell I still get excited as a kid on Christmas Eve the night before brewing every new batch. Welcome to the club :)

Btw. it must be exciting to be an homebrewer ion India...I've been there ca. 10 years ago and it seems that alcohol consumton, though legal, is strictly regulated right.
I was once served beer in a tea pot with tea cups, for instance

I know, first batch, everything exciting, but you are overthinking it. Just put it somewhere room temperature, check again when you are back and based on the result, then either refrigerate all or keep them at room temp. That's it!

Last edited:
Please don't lose your sleep for 5 L of IPA ;-)
Although I understand, it is your first batch and everything is so exciting....I've been there...hell I still get excited as a kid on Christmas Eve the night before brewing every new batch. Welcome to the club :)

Btw. it must be exciting to be an homebrewer ion India...I've been there ca. 10 years ago and it seems that alcohol consumton, though legal, is strictly regulated right.
I was once served beer in a tea pot with tea cups, for instance

I normally wouldn't, but it's just the thought of my beer turning into a weapon that frightens me.

Yeah it is quite exciting. Though we have quite a few these days and that number is only growing. This is down to the explosion (oops) of the craft beer scene in the country over the last 3 years.

No such regulations AFAIK. Where in India were you? Please tell me where you got the beer in a tea pot, I'd like to go there too :D

But in all seriousness, we have a pretty good scene right now, especially in the major cities (Bangalore leads the way by far).

I know, first batch, everything exciting, but you are overthinking it. Just put it somewhere room temperature, check again when you are back and based and the result, then either refrigerate all or keep them at room temp. That's it!

Yes that is the plan. Thanks :)

I normally wouldn't, but it's just the thought of my beer turning into a weapon that frightens me.

Yeah it is quite exciting. Though we have quite a few these days and that number is only growing. This is down to the explosion (oops) of the craft beer scene in the country over the last 3 years.

No such regulations AFAIK. Where in India were you? Please tell me where you got the beer in a tea pot, I'd like to go there too :D

But in all seriousness, we have a pretty good scene right now, especially in the major cities (Bangalore leads the way by far).
I also would like to know this :D

I was once in Bihar, driving from Padna to Bodh Gaya. That was certainly interesting, absolute cultural shock for a European like me. An Indian friend of mine from London told me that Bihar would be the last place she would want to go when going to India, so I probably cannot compare this to the other parts of India. However, alcohol was strictly illegal, I think I read even something about death penalty, if I remember correctly. Great to hear that other Indian states keep it more on a normal level.

The tea pot experience was in Kerala, but I must say my India experience was also very limited to just one week in that particular state. Aside from that I was in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh for several months. So I know those two small neighbors of yours a bit better. Sri Lanka was fairly liberal with respect to alcohol...and Bangladesh, well, I dearly loved that country but you'd better be teetotal if you live there. Although there were means to find alcohol, even there, but not good alcohol, that is :)

Good to know there is a growing craft beer and HB scene in India!
I seriously loved South Asia and if one day I should have the opportunity to live there for a while, I'd take it :)

I also would like to know this :D

I was once in Bihar, driving from Padna to Bodh Gaya. That was certainly interesting, absolute cultural shock for a European like me. An Indian friend of mine from London told me that Bihar would be the last place she would want to go when going to India, so I probably cannot compare this to the other parts of India. However, alcohol was strictly illegal, I think I read even something about death penalty, if I remember correctly. Great to hear that other Indian states keep it more on a normal level.

Miraculix, there are about four Indian states that are 'dry' meaning no alcohol can be sold legally. Bihar being one of them. I'm pretty sure death penalty is wayyy too harsh a treatment cause I haven't heard anyone ever being slapped with one. A short jail term is quite common though in those states, but India being India.. You can walk away with a bribe.

On the other hand, there are a few states whose economy runs on Alcohol :D

The tea pot experience was in Kerala, but I must say my India experience was also very limited to just one week in that particular state. Aside from that I was in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh for several months. So I know those two small neighbors of yours a bit better. Sri Lanka was fairly liberal with respect to alcohol...and Bangladesh, well, I dearly loved that country but you'd better be teetotal if you live there. Although there were means to find alcohol, even there, but not good alcohol, that is :)

Good to know there is a growing craft beer and HB scene in India!
I seriously loved South Asia and if one day I should have the opportunity to live there for a while, I'd take it :)

Kerala is amaze! Next time you're down here, do plan a craft beer crawl as we have a bunch of really good ones now. A lot of brewpubs have European/American brewmasters. So I can confidently say that they're atleast on par with some of the breweries in europe or the US.

Kerala is amaze! Next time you're down here, do plan a craft beer crawl as we have a bunch of really good ones now. A lot of brewpubs have European/American brewmasters. So I can confidently say that they're atleast on par with some of the breweries in europe or the US.
Oh and BrewDog is opening their first ever outlet in Mumbai next month :ban:

You already have delicious food by tradition, if now you do also have delicious beer...well what can one ask for more?
Back then I only could find Kingfisher...

If your readings are correct you should have crappy beer or bottle bombs or both. Sounds scary to me.

So I opened the PET bottle and there definitely was carbonation. There was a pop and some head that developed on the surface.

Is that a good sign or bad? Should I also open every other bottle to release the co2?

I'm leaving in another hour..

Back