Question about Ball Valve Tightness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjthomas21

Reaction score
So I read up on how to install a weldless ball valve and finally drilled into my SS kettle (15 gallon Bayou Classic) last night and got the ball valve installed. There are no leaks but I do have a question about the proper tightness of the valve. I have hand-tightened the hex nut onto the threaded pipe so that it is clamped to the kettle pretty well. When I twist on the actual valve onto the threaded pipe, the pipe ends up spinning. Is that normal? Also, when I turn the lever to open/shut the valve the entire valve unit torques a bit. Again, is that normal?

There are no leaks when I twist on the valve or when I open/shut the valve so it is good to go but I am just wondering if I missed something or if this is just normal.

Thanks!

What kit did you install?

Can you post some pictures of the install inside and out?

Ball valves can be a bit tight at first. Is it a 3 piece or 2 piece valve?

This is the valve I purchased from Northern Brewer. I will post some pictures when I get home tonight.

I've attached pictures of my installation. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

Ball Valve Pic 1.jpg

Ball Valve Pic 2.jpg

It does have a groove in it, on the side facing the pot. Fits the O-ring very well as I imagine that is the purpose.

I imagine it is installed appropriately (not too difficult). I don't have any friends that brew so I have never seen a self-installed spigot so I just wanted to get some feedback as to whether or not I may have messed it up. First brew this Saturday will tell for sure.

On the valve tightness its is typically the inner gaskets are a bit oversized or the stem nut assembly (nut that is under handle when you take it off) is too tight.

Latest posts

Back