Question about Apfelwein knockoff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemet

Reaction score
I made a batch on 10/1 of 4 parts apple juice 1 part grape- all 100% juice. Added my dextrose- and instead of the champagne yeast- I used a D47 wine yeast as per a few different people I hear trying things out like that with success.

Its still fermenting away 2 weeks in - which doesnt concern me. What does - is that the bubbles sometimes form on - looks like a beer head- and within an hour- its gone. Then again in an hour, the head forms again. It looks like it keeps going into this stage of clear top- to foamy head top-

Its not infected- it smells great. Did I screw the pooch by putting in D47? Do I need to 'degas' now? Anyone else try something like this? I know within 2 weeks I should be done fermenting- so I am not really concerned- but I am questioning whether or not I could have screwed something along the way or is this just par for the course

Just let it do its thing. You're fine, leave it be, step away from the fermeter, have a homebrew and all that.

The yeast know what they're doing, following their timetable not yours.

Cheers!

Come back in 3-6 months and then worry about it. Until then store it away and try not to obsess.

Latest posts

Back