Quasi Parti-Gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haydn-Juby

Reaction score
So recently I've been reading about doing Parti Gyle beers and getting two different beers from one mash. It has inspired me to try something similar but a bit different.

I'm planning on doing an English Bitter at standard 60 min boil about 30-40 IBUs and 4% ABV. Then once I'm done the 60 min boil I'd strain off half the wort and keep half in the kettle. I'd goose it up with some DME and hops and boil for another 30 mins in the process raising the beer to about 8% ABV and maybe 60-70 IBU's. In conclusion I'd be getting a Barley Wine style beer and a Bitter from the same wort really.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Or can anyone find any obvious flaws in this method? I'm to give it a go.

I like partgyle brewing and have done quite a bit of it. I am not sure what or how you brew and in what size batches you can do but I love taking 1st runnings for "imperial brews" and adding different malts with a base malt spike in the mash so I make sure I hit my gravities.

I am not sure a split boil and adding DME would be considered a partygle but I am sure the end results would be the same. I say go for it.

I like partgyle brewing and have done quite a bit of it. I am not sure what or how you brew and in what size batches you can do but I love taking 1st runnings for "imperial brews" and adding different malts with a base malt spike in the mash so I make sure I hit my gravities.

I am not sure a split boil and adding DME would be considered a partygle but I am sure the end results would be the same. I say go for it.

I realize its not a parti-gyle but more or less inspired by one. Can a parti-gyle work , in the traditional sense, with a BIAB style brewing ? That's typically how I want to brew from now on and don't have a mash tun nor the money to get one right now.

So recently I've been reading about doing Parti Gyle beers and getting two different beers from one mash. It has inspired me to try something similar but a bit different.

I'm planning on doing an English Bitter at standard 60 min boil about 30-40 IBUs and 4% ABV. Then once I'm done the 60 min boil I'd strain off half the wort and keep half in the kettle. I'd goose it up with some DME and hops and boil for another 30 mins in the process raising the beer to about 8% ABV and maybe 60-70 IBU's. In conclusion I'd be getting a Barley Wine style beer and a Bitter from the same wort really.

Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Or can anyone find any obvious flaws in this method? I'm to give it a go.

never done this, but it sounds like it would work. split mash and split ferment work, why wouldn't a split boil?

I fully encourage you to go ahead and do it, in the name of SCIENCE! and report back here with your results

never done this, but it sounds like it would work. split mash and split ferment work, why wouldn't a split boil?

I fully encourage you to go ahead and do it, in the name of SCIENCE! and report back here with your results

It might be another month before I get around to doing it but all the more time to design a recipe and find possible flaws. I'll post back after brew day.

Yeah, I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work. You'll want to calculate your IBUs including a 120min boil for whatever you add to the full batch so those get incorporated into the second batch. You might also go through a bit of energy cooling the whole batch down, then bringing it back up to boiling, but if you figure the second batch will be half the size, your setup should be able to handle it pretty well.

Back