Märzen Easy Drinking Marzen!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
34/70
Yeast Starter
Nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
Nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5 days @ 70F @10psi
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Nope
Additional Fermentation
Nope
Tasting Notes
Easy Drinking Marzen!! Very similar to the big brewery right down the street!!
6.5 gallons RO water

Brewers Friend has their light colored and malty profile:
CA 60
MG 5
NA 10
CL 95
So4 55

Which would equate for this recipe..
Gypsum 1.7g
Epsom 1.1g
Salt .6g
CaChl 4g
5.43 mash PH

Grains
9# Vienna 4L
.75# Caramunich II 45L
1# Munich 10L

70% brewhouse efficiency

Mash 60 mins @ 154, I do full volume mash in my Brewzilla

Boil 60 mins
1.9oz Hallertau Mitt 2.3%AA @ 60mins
.87oz Hallertau Mitt 2.3%AA @ 15mins
3tsp yeast nutrient DAP @ 10mins

I ferment in corny kegs, this gives me about 4.5 gallons of wort for the fermenter. I immediately pressurize the keg to 12 psi, 34/70 takes off and ferments just fine. This beer tastes similar to Leinies Oktoberfest, they use cluster I believe, as they do with most of their beer. SWMBO kicked the keg last fall very quickly!

Last edited by a moderator:
when you say immediately like you mean right after pitching you add co2 to 12 psi. i am about to try my first pressure ferment and a lot of websites say start at atmospheric pressure for 24-48 hours before putting on spunding valve.

when you say immediately like you mean right after pitching you add co2 to 12 psi. i am about to try my first pressure ferment and a lot of websites say start at atmospheric pressure for 24-48 hours before putting on spunding valve.
Yes, immediately. 34/70 and s189 take off awesome by my experience and ferment all the way down with no stalling! Brewed this beer Saturday actually with s189 as an experiment, pitched the yeast at 5pm and set it to 12psi. By the next morning at 8am I had activity. I actually hook the gas post on the fermenting keg to the liquid post on a clean keg. Then I connect the spunding valve to the gas port on the clean keg. This way its prepurged with co2. I use 1/4" clear line between the kegs. I actually put a little sanitizer in the line and sag it between the kegs, like its own little airlock, that way i can see if its pushing co2 and fermenting! It stays in the line the whole time so you can see how fast its fermenting. I ferment them in my dining room, room temp its squeeky clean. Its usually at FG within 3 days but I leave it in there for 5-6. I've fermented at 10psi and it works good too, I like 12psi for a little head start on carbonation to save on co2. 1 pack of yeast since you are fermenting at room temp, save yourself some money!

Thanks so much for this process. That’s what I was looking for. Last question. You are at room temp the whole time yes? No low then high. A lot are saying start low temp (optimal temp) to get yeast growth then ramp temp up to battle yeast suppression from co2. But your method obviously easier, kind of set it and forget it .

Thanks so much for this process. That’s what I was looking for. Last question. You are at room temp the whole time yes? No low then high. A lot are saying start low temp (optimal temp) to get yeast growth then ramp temp up to battle yeast suppression from co2. But your method obviously easier, kind of set it and forget it .
I cool the wort down to 68-70 degrees (whatever room temp is), then I transfer it to my fermenter corny keg, pitch the dry yeast directly onto the wort, close the keg, pressurize with Co2 to 12psi, let it ferment at room temperature in my dining room. Super clean, simple. I personally like how clean these beers come out this way, there are no yeast esters.

I actually made an American Lite beer for my father who is a Miller Lite guy. Beer has an SRM of 2, super light color, 3.8% abv, nothing to hide behind. It turned out super clean with this exact method, fermented under 12psi at room temperature.

If I'm not mistaken from my last tour, but I believe they use every drop from the spring and then some!

Back