QC clogging when closed kegging of highly hopped beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thereverendmaynard

Reaction score
I use a closed transfer process with my SS brewtech conical - using co2 to push into a purged keg.

I cold crash my dry hopped beers - but i always seem to have issues with the QC's clogging.

I use a standard liquid QC and push from the top valve. I usually let it run for a few seconds to confirm no sediment before hooking up the QC - but i still clog the QC.

I have used a small filter but havent been crazy about using it. Maybe i will give it another go.

Anyone have a different closed process that avoids this issue?

I do CO2 push transfers from carboys to kegs, and I rubber band a ~4" square of nylon hop bag material (with a large SS washer inside) to the end of my racking cane, sanitize it for awhile, then stick it in the carboy. I usually start with the business end an inch or so above the cold-crashed trub/yeast/dry hop substrate, draw nearly all the beer out, then lower it to grab the last of it. I've never had anything clog...

Cheers!

I assume you mean a Quick Disconnect for connecting to the keg?

If you're letting it run to ensure it's clear, how are you doing that? When I hook up a QD, it's closed. The only way to let it run open is for me to use one of these I bought from BrewHardware:

jumperpost.png

It opens up the poppet in the QD so liquid can flow through.

I'm using a jumper with clear tubing on it so I can also see how clear the beer looks.

I have a racking arm that I'm turning mostly down but slightly off to the side to ensure I'm pulling beer above the trub. Have you done any dumping of trub to make sure that it's below the racking arm?

I assume you mean a Quick Disconnect for connecting to the keg?

If you're letting it run to ensure it's clear, how are you doing that? When I hook up a QD, it's closed. The only way to let it run open is for me to use one of these I bought from BrewHardware:

View attachment 591059

It opens up the poppet in the QD so liquid can flow through.

I'm using a jumper with clear tubing on it so I can also see how clear the beer looks.

I have a racking arm that I'm turning mostly down but slightly off to the side to ensure I'm pulling beer above the trub. Have you done any dumping of trub to make sure that it's below the racking arm?

I will just run without the QC attached and let the trub flow. I have those same couplers to use when i am cleaning my beer lines btw.

I think i am going to give the filter a try again.

Back