Pressurized closed transfer problems.... need advices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garage12brewing

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

as my title says... I do have fermenters that I can pressurize to do pressurized fermentation, transfers etc....

When I want to transfer from the racking arm to a co2 purged keg I always end up with some hops or yeast clogged in the keg post or ball lock fitting...

Yes I do drop a some beer from the racking arm to make sure the yeast and particules are going out before I plug my hoses.

Yes I also cold crash.

Do you guys have any tips or different fittings I could use ? I always end up using my racking cane and opening the fermentor lid... 80% of the time...

Thanks !!

I sanitize a small rubber band and a roughly 3 inch square of nylon mesh sourced from a paint strainer bag, then band the mesh around the tip of my ss racking cane. Then I start with the cane high up and follow the wort level as it drops. Does and excellent job of keeping hops out of kegs...

Cheers!

What type of fermenter do you have? Is there any way to install a floating diptube, perhaps with a screen?
When suction is going on anywhere near the bottom, some disturbance is inevitable. It's either some form of drawing from the top-down, or a large surface area filter that can reasonably answer that issue.

I sanitize a small rubber band and a roughly 3 inch square of nylon mesh sourced from a paint strainer bag, then band the mesh around the tip of my ss racking cane. Then I start with the cane high up and follow the wort level as it drops. Does and excellent job of keeping hops out of kegs...

Cheers!
so you install this mesh on your racking cane in the fermentor before you put the wort in the fermentor ? Good idea. I will try that.

Well, no, I don't install the racking cane until it is needed. My infrastructure and process wouldn't support it. I ferment in carboys and have a carboy cap rigged up for CO2 pushes that I apply when it's kegging time.

Prior to that I use a different cap during fermentation to use the CO2 for purging kegs, and later for applying CO2 top pressure when cold crashing to keep the pressure positive (.4 psi) so the head space is CO2 rich when I set up for racking. A quick swap and a tubing and head space flush and it's good to start racking...

[edit] I add a stainless steel washer inside the mesh to keep it from collapsing or being sucked into the racking cane.

1675206303140.jpeg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Whenever I transfer a dry hopped beer (most of them) I use a Bouncer Filter available on Amazon. I rigged some Duotight fittings with EVABarrier tubing. The size I use is the 'MD" (MacDaddy) which is actually relatively small. The blue filter is the best size for me. Cleaning clogged keg poppets is a pain in the ass...

Back