Pyrex Carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cutarecord

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Someone gifted me a large glass bottle last week. he said it was just laying in his basement and used to be used to collect coins. Upon further investigation i found a old Pyrex logo. BAM i was just given a 6.5 gal pyrex carboy!

WAIT!

Does anyone think, coins being stored in this thing, is a problem? What steps should i use to clean it before the Starsan goes in? It has been sitting around in a basement for (what i assume) is about 20-30 years. I just want to know if anyone thinks these are red flags for using this thing. I am SUPER apprehensive about putting precious and infect-able wort in this baby.

Let me know your thoughts...

You might find a kit to test the cooper levels in the glass. Maybe clean really good with CLR. That might lift all the cooper and oils out.
On the other hand take it to a window repair shop and see what they say.
Hey lucky you for getting a free carboy!

RIGHT!? not only a glass carboy but a freaking pyrex beauty! He just gave it to me too. I kinda felt bad after i researched how much this beast would cost. Plus its vintage!

I was thinking just soaking with hot water and oxyclean for a few hours...

oh! Also...

its about 6.5 gal. Do you think using it for a secondary fermenter for a 5 gal batch is ok? I was a little concerned that the extra head room would cause problems with oxidation. Also, I'm not sure but i feel like if i use it ONLY for secondary fermentation it will run less risk of infection. Im a new brewer, this may be an ignorant assumption on my part but that is what i was thinking...

Pyrex became a brand name years ago. I'd treat it as regular glass. If you pick up any green tinge from any angles, it is not 'real' Pyrex.

as long as there aren't any chips or scratches inside from the coins you should be fine. Just put oxyclean or pbw in there... rinse well and then sanitize. If there are any cracks or chips on the outside of the carboy I wouldn't use it as it could be a safety issue.

...the yeast should take care of any copper left behind.

Coins are one of the nastiest things on the planet. That said I would just clean it really well, then oxyclean soak it over night then sanitize well.

I have seen both sides of the argument on headspace in a secondary. Personally I think that a layer of co2 will be produced protecting the beer.

Then again I have not done a secondary in the last 6 months. (started brewing 8 months ago).

Back