pyramid apricot ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avm221

Reaction score
this is what im looking at brewing:
http://www.pyramidbrew.com/our-brews/apricot

i dont have time to brew all grain so i was going to do about 6-7lbs of LME and then do a mini mash

i have read that most likely they use a extract apricot flavoring im thinking of the same,

what would you suggest for a recipe? also what yeast should i use a hefe yeast or a krosh yeast

Brewed it 2 weeks ago and moving it to secondary today. Everything looks great

avm221 said:
this is what im looking at brewing:
http://www.pyramidbrew.com/our-brews/apricot

i dont have time to brew all grain so i was going to do about 6-7lbs of LME and then do a mini mash

i have read that most likely they use a extract apricot flavoring im thinking of the same,

what would you suggest for a recipe? also what yeast should i use a hefe yeast or a krosh yeast

SWMBO loves this beer and I've come pretty close, or at least made a version we like. I think the commercial version has too much flavoring.

Anyway, for a 5g batch I do half pale malt have white wheat. I add the vitner's fruit to primary after about a week of fermentation. I tried adding to secondary but liked primary better. I think their website notes they use Nugget hops and I read somewhere they use their house ale yeast. American Ale or American Wheat work really well, more tartness with the Wheat. I then add 3/4 to all of the Apricot flavoring when I keg.

Cheers

SWMBO loves this beer and I've come pretty close, or at least made a version we like. I think the commercial version has too much flavoring.

Anyway, for a 5g batch I do half pale malt have white wheat. I add the vitner's fruit to primary after about a week of fermentation. I tried adding to secondary but liked primary better. I think their website notes they use Nugget hops and I read somewhere they use their house ale yeast. American Ale or American Wheat work really well, more tartness with the Wheat. I then add 3/4 to all of the Apricot flavoring when I keg.

Cheers

Is your full recipe available? Pyramid Apricot is one of SWMBOs favorites, even though she's primarily a stout and APA aficionado. I'd like to give it a try.

Is your full recipe available? Pyramid Apricot is one of SWMBOs favorites, even though she's primarily a stout and APA aficionado. I'd like to give it a try.

This is for a 11 gallon batch @ 65% Brewhouse Efficiency (No Sparge system):

9# Rahr White Wheat
5# Rahr 2-Row
5# Rahr Pale Ale
0.30 oz Nugget (13.30%) - 60 minutes
0.40 oz Nugget (13.30%) - 40 minutes
Rice Hulls
Wyeast 1056 American Ale (2L starter) OR Wyeast 1010 American Wheat (I notice more tartness with this strain)

**I ferment in two 6 gallon carboys so the below is for each carboy**

- 1 Can of Vintner's Harvet Apricot Puree - My method is completely unscientific - I add to primary once fermentation has significantly slowed (rate of bubbling in airlock).
- Let sit in primary for total of 3 weeks.
- 4. oz of apricot natural flavoring. I put it in the keg first and transfer onto it.
- Age 3 weeks at cellar temperatures and serve.

Back