Puzzled with Northern Brewer Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeAliceBrewery

Reaction score
Just finished up this brew and my OG came out at 1.046....the target is 1.040. I am right at 5 gallons on the nose... I generally always hit my target dead on. Anyone else have this issue with this extract kit? I did do the late malt extract as many others do to keep it the lighter color as it is supposed to be. Would this cause the higher OG?

Using all the fermentables, and having the correct volume will give you the recipe OG. Not getting the recipe OG is a measurement error. Either drawing a sample from part of the wort heavier to sugars, or part of the wort lighter to sugars if the measured SG is lower.

I am sure it will come out fine...perhaps a bit drier. It just seems odd to me...I mixed it very well before drawing my reading...

6 points, IMHO, is not too much to worry about on the high-side. Is this extract only, or were there any steeping grains? Partial/mini-mash? Pardons fr my ignorance there, but I don't know what comes in these kits.

I don't think that adding the extract late would make the gravity higher.

6 points, IMHO, is not too much to worry about on the high-side. Is this extract only, or were there any steeping grains? Partial/mini-mash? Pardons fr my ignorance there, but I don't know what comes in these kits.

I don't think that adding the extract late would make the gravity higher.

Yes there were some specialty grains...and I did let them steep 5 extra minutes...

Back