Putting Hops Into Primary Instead of Flame Out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madub

Reaction score
So recently I was trying to think of the "best" way to either dry hop or flame out and what I decided to do was more or less throw hops in the bottom of my primary then transfer with a siphon, the still pretty hot wort on top of them, and put my wort chiller directly into the primary. My thought here is that I would get the best of both worlds, the extra aroma from dry hopping, but also the extra flavor from the hops. This also opens up my kettle in case I want to start a second brew and completely submerges my wort chiller. Any thoughts or suggestions on the process?

Seems unnecessary, just throw the hops into the kettle once the wort has been cooled to ~170°-180°. Whirlpool the wort if you have the ability to do so, then chill and rack to fermentor. Dry hop once fermentation has been completed (or before, and then again, but that's a whole 'nother lesson).

Is your primary stainless steel? The thermal shock to glass would be too much. The plastic fermenters I have are not rated above 140 Degrees F. The one bucket I have is only rated up to 170. I second Upthewazzu. Whirlpool hopping is the way to go.

I would not put 200-degree liquid into a fermenter.

I would and have done so a few times. However, the fermenter must be stainless steel or HDPE plastic. A couple advantages to it are the boiling wort sanitizes all the surfaces as even the lid gets hot (175 on my HDPE bucket lid with 2 1/2 gallons of wort. It also elimates the waste of water if you normally use a chiller and instead just let the wort cool naturally. It does require that the beer has no hops except for bittering and it takes a long time to cool.

Back