Putting a fermentation chamber in the attic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmckenny

Reaction score
Is there any danger or negatives I should be aware of? My attic can get quite hot in the summer (maybe up to 120?) but my fermentation chamber is a small fridge so I would think it could keep up.

Would condensation be an issue up there? I'm sure dragging the wort up there would be a PITA but if I'm using a bucket it should be doable.

I live in a smallish house and am having trouble fitting both a fermentation chamber and a kegerator in the basement.

I had a fulll sized fridge in a shed that got to those temps. in the summer. No problem holding set temps., but the energy cost was greatly reduced when I moved the fridge to a bedroom that was vacated when my youngest moved out.
I bet the fridge's life span will be longer too!

Bob

I do HVAC on houses every day. Put a thermometer in your attic the next time it gets to 100-103. Pop your head up there and see what the temp is. We had a house the other day the attic had little or no ventilation and it was 162 with the temp at 103. A frig might work but it will run all day. You might be able to put a roof mounted fan that will help pull the air out and keep temp down. And you can get the SWMBO to agree to that cause it will help with cooling the house. Spin it as a need for house not brewing.
Also a cheep small elec winch in the attic over the acsses and a carboy hauler would make for an easy way to transport. Cause you wife wouldn't want you to get hurt.

I do HVAC on houses every day. Put a thermometer in your attic the next time it gets to 100-103. Pop your head up there and see what the temp is. We had a house the other day the attic had little or no ventilation and it was 162 with the temp at 103. A frig might work but it will run all day. You might be able to put a roof mounted fan that will help pull the air out and keep temp down. And you can get the SWMBO to agree to that cause it will help with cooling the house. Spin it as a need for house not brewing.
Also a cheep small elec winch in the attic over the acsses and a carboy hauler would make for an easy way to transport. Cause you wife wouldn't want you to get hurt.

Well you know I am all about helping the environment and lowering my carbon footprint so maybe I can roll insulating the joists/roof into this project...

My ferm chamber is in my garage. As of this week temperatures have been above 110°, inside the garage they're at least 10° higher (which is a fantastic environment for the sour mash I started last night). My fridge is not having any trouble holding temperature, but it is running a lot more frequently than it did a couple months ago. Just remember that it will be a lot easier on the unit to hold ale temperatures than lager temperatures. I would be more concerned about having to haul buckets up and down stairs or a ladder.

If you wanted to do that maybe flatten an area just below the roof vents you have.if you buy air shoots they are foam or plastic that fit in between the rafters those will keep the insulation from blocking the air flow and make a big difference in temp as well. In a home you can tell if a vaulted celling has them or not the sheetrock well be hotter if they wernt used. I have a roof mounted fan in my attic and I can tell a huge difference when I go in it compared to others. Ya this project twill be great for the house and the brewing.

Thanks guys sounds likes its doable. I was concerned about condensation from the condenser (its humid in virginia) but maybe my concern is unfounded. For hauling the wort I could rig a winch.

I look at it as "what's the worst that can happen?" My concern would be handling spills--if anything where to happen to your carboy, that's a lot of beer leaking through your ceiling.

Leaks- go to a Heating and cooling supply store ad get a drain pain for a furnace. Put the frig in it and you could even run the drain of the pan out of the attic to a floor drain or out side the house. HAHAHA Spils! You will have them on the ropes. Also the pan might e big enough come winter to maby do a little lagering up there in the cool attic space.

Back