Put this fermentation/conditioning schedule in the right order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

element533

Reaction score
Just curious what people like to do for an aromatic dry-hopped IPA?

A. Primary (4-7 days)
B. Secondary (7-10 days, not including cold crash or fining)
C. Dry hop (3-5 days)
D. Cold crash (2-4 days)
E. Fine (1 week, still at cold crash temps)
F. Keg

Would you do a different order? Not do certain steps? Add other steps? Durations of each step?

Apologies if this has been discussed, I just wanted to get a concise thread specifically about the sequencing of conditioning steps.

What I do:

A for about 7-10 days
C (in the same fermenter) 3-5 days
F

After kegging, I put it in the kegerator at 30 psi for 36 hours, then purge to 12 psi and pour off about 3 ounces of sludge. Then drink.

For my ipas, it differs slightly depending on what they are but something like this

1. Primary (10-14 days)
2. Dry hop (7 days)
3. 2nd Dryhop (3-4 days if done)
4. Keg (at 10-14 days after pitching)

Lately, I've been doing this:

- Two days into primary, add first dry hop
- Four days later, add second dry hop
- Four days later, start cold-crash
- Two days later, keg and put in cold-carb/conditioning fridge
- Two weeks later, carbed and ready when a slot opens in the keezer.

So, 26 days all up.
If I didn't have a solid pipeline I could cut a week off the carb time and be dispensing that beer in 19 days...

Cheers!

A. Like Yooper, a week to 10 days or so. There's no set time, really - I go by expected terminal gravity and VDK/Diacetyl tests.
B. No Secondary (I used to - but I was a freak in getting beer off yeast. Now I don't believe it matters).
C. Dry hop - yeast slurry, 3 days. Like Yooper as well, same vessel.
D. Cold crash - 2 days
E. Rack to conditioning vessel
E. Fine. I used to use gelatin, worked well, but I'd like to try isinglass. About 3 days. Rack off to pass clear beer to:
F. keg.

I listened to a lot of podcast about yeast and dry hopping. Quite a few major Pro-brewers say that flocculating yeast will cling to the hops and drag to the bottom. In effect negating or lowering your your dry hopping effect. All of these brewers highly recommend dumping the yeast before dry hopping. That really doesn't work for homebrewing unless you have a conical. Secondary is just to much risk for infection or oxidation.

What I have seen in my brewing experience. When I was dry hopping in the primary. As I was pouring in the hop pellets, they would sinking whole to the bottom disappearing into the yeast cake. In my mind never to return. When I racked the beer, I could see tightly clumped hop pieces in the yeast cake which had to be those heavy pellets. So based on podcast and my experiences heres what I do.

A. Primary 14 days or until completely finished based on the recipe.
B. Rack to conditioning keg. (keg with shortened dip tube or keg with dry hop screen/tube) dry hop for 3 to 7 days depending on recipe. 50F-60F depending on recipe
C. Cold Crash down to 38F for 3 days.
D. Closed CO2 transfer to serving keg.
E. Carbonate and serve.
C. Drink

I would follow this order. No secondary. I'm finding that, with the 1318 I've been using, that primary ferm is done in about 36 hours.

A. Primary (4-7 days)
C. Dry hop (3-5 days)
D. Cold crash (2-4 days)
F. Keg

The latest (and, I think, my best IPA yet) followed this schedule:

A. Primary @ 66 degrees (2 days)
B. Dry hop (3 days) raising temp to 70 over that time.
C. Cold Crash (2 days)
D. Keg
E. Carb @ 25 psi (2 days)
F. Drop to 10 psi and serve

If you're not wanting a NEIPA, you could move the first dry hop out to after the raise in temp and basically move everything back 3 days, or you could keep the same schedule but just move the dry hop into the keg.

I like them fresh, so for standard OG I'll go this route:

A. Primary 2-3 days
B. Dry hop 3-4 days
C. Cold crash 2 days
D. Keg and carb

Back