Pursuit of the perfect IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwdraper4

Reaction score
I am starting out on an adventure to craft and brew the perfect IPA. I know there is no such thing as perfection, but I want to get as close to it as I possibly can...at least for my tastes. So what can make the perfect IPA? For me, it has to be balanced, clean, crisp, and of course have great hop flavor and aroma. There are a number of fantastic commercial examples out there, so I will draw inspiration from them to make my perfect pint. To get to the perfect IPA I will have to no doubt try as many of those commercial examples as possible, but brew a freakin ton of IPAs. The best way I can think to do this is make a 12 pack at a time. This way I can brew a lot more often and have a solid rotation of beers to taste and examine along the way. I"ll start with a base recipe and modify the hops or malt 1 ingredient at a time to learn what each contributes to the beer. I'll probably also throw in some single hop beers to really nail down those profiles for my palate. Let the adventure begin!

Here is my first crack at an initial recipe...any thoughts or suggestions?
(this recipe is formulated for 6 gallons post-boil, which I will scale down to 1.5 gallons for the 12 pack batch)

Recipe Specifics
Batch Size (Gal): 6 gallons Post-Boil
Anticipated OG: 1.061
Anticipated FG: 1.010-1.012
Anticipated SRM: 6.2
Anticipated IBU: 66
Fermentation: 10-14 days at 68º F

Grain/Extract/Sugars (% of total weight)
Briess DME - Golden Light (91.2%)
Biscuit Malt (25L) (5.9%)
Honey Malt (18L) (2.9%)

Hops AA% (Grams) Boil Time
Simcoe 13.0% 28 60 min.
Centennial 8.1% 28 15 min.
Simcoe 13.0% 28 5 min.
Simcoe 13.0% 28 0 min.
Centennial 8.1% 28 0 min.
Amarillo 8.0% 28 0 min.
Simcoe 13.0% 28 Dry
Centennial 8.1% 28 Dry
Amarillo 8.0% 28 Dry

Yeast
Safale US-05/Wyeast 1056 or 1272

One tip from me: Try using a Kolsch yeast. I did this on an imperial IPA and fellow homebrewers RAVED about it. It even fermented to 8.5% ABV despite not typically being a yeast that chews through high gravity beers.

Also, control ferm temp like a hawk and check gravity carefully as it goes. I pulled mine from primary into secondary as soon as I had stable readings and then dry-hopped for 3-4 days in the secondary. This time around I'm also going to dry-hop in the keg. If you bottle, you could just do two rounds of dry-hopping. Again though, I like my IPA's fresh. Don't age it for long unless you have off flavors.

I've tried a Kolsch yeast on an American Wheat before but never and IPA. I can see how the crisp finish would be nice. I assumed you fermented in the low 60s with the Kolsch yeast?

gwdraper4 said:
I've tried a Kolsch yeast on an American Wheat before but never and IPA. I can see how the crisp finish would be nice. I assumed you fermented in the low 60s with the Kolsch yeast?

Eh, mid sixties. The white labs yeast is very nice at common ale temperatures. Imparts a slightly fruity flavor but is clean nonetheless. I used nugget for the flavor and aroma hops. I'm in love with what it did.

One tip from me: Try using a Kolsch yeast. I did this on an imperial IPA and fellow homebrewers RAVED about it. It even fermented to 8.5% ABV despite not typically being a yeast that chews through high gravity beers.

Also, control ferm temp like a hawk and check gravity carefully as it goes. I pulled mine from primary into secondary as soon as I had stable readings and then dry-hopped for 3-4 days in the secondary. This time around I'm also going to dry-hop in the keg. If you bottle, you could just do two rounds of dry-hopping. Again though, I like my IPA's fresh. Don't age it for long unless you have off flavors.

i don't mean to hijack this thread, but i'm interested in hearing more about this. for my next brew i'm considering making a hoppy wheat with possibly amarillo, citra, and/or nelson sauvin. so far i've used 1056 for half the beers i've made, so i'm looking to deviate from this on my next brew, if possible. the kolsch idea sounds interesting. do you think that would work for what i'm describing? do you have a specific kolsch yeast in mind? would i need to lager it after fermentation? thanks in advance, and sorry for the hijack.

UPDATE: I brewed my first attempt at the perfect IPA last night with the recipe I have posted above. I do have to say that the wort when it was cooling smelled ridiculous...piney, citrus, fruity, floral, almost sticky. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Pitched the yeast at about 66 deg F at 10pm last night...a few slight bubbles in the airlock this morning. While I'm waiting on that to ferment I'm going to brew a single hop beer with the same grain bill as I did for this brew. Here are my choices that I have on hand: Columbus, Calypso, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Willamette, Bravo, Falconer's Flight, Pacific Jade. Any suggestions of where to start or does anybody have a favorite among these??? Cheers!

The perfect IPA is not about balance. It is an inherently bitter style of beer. That doesn't mean you have to be blasted with bitterness. But the beer should be mainly bitter in flavor.

Unlike most of the styles, the perfect IPA is about The Beauty of Un-Balance. It should be all about the hops with minimal obstruction by the yeast & malt, or any obvious and detracting sweet, cloying, phenolic, estery, malty contributions.

It should be clean, crisp, medium bodied, not over or under carbonated, and highly drinkable with tons of juicy, fresh, pleasant, fragrant aroma. It should not be full bodied, thick, rich, malty or sweet, or fake perfumey to the point of making you ill.

I'm not fully sure I agree. Sure, that's the BJCP definition of a classic IPA, but some of my favorite brews are labeled as IPA and are completely different. Ever tried the IPA from UpSlope Brewing Co? It's prbably about 25 SRM, malty and nicely bitter. Nothing like what you describe, but one of my favorite beers of all time.

Agreed, everyone's palate is different. I, personally love a bitter & hoppy IPA but not a clean crisp lighter bodied one. Malt sweetness has to be there, at the very least making an appearance. And if we are talking about Imperial IPAs, then my last statement is ten fold. I think all beer is about balance & any offering that is one dimensional sets itself up for low drinkability.

I have to admit I love the range of IPA variations that are in the market place from the light easy drinking to the big full IIPAs to Black/Brown IPAs, etc... I agree that the Perfect IPA must be Bitter and Hoppy, but it can still be balanced and have tons of hop flavor and aroma. Any palate blasting IPAs are great to have a couple of, but an everyday, Wow that is an awesome IPA, is what I'm after. Beers like Pliny are super duper hoppy but in some odd way it still seems balanced and smooth for a IIPA. I love that beer but if I drank 6 I might be on the floor!

Bobbrews, I totally agree it should be about the hops with the malt and fermentation characteristics playing only a supporting role to bring the beer life. By balance I don't mean the hops and malt should share equal stage rights, I do mean it should not be way too bitter for the gravity of the beer, although it must still have that end crisp bite on the palate. If the OG and IBU are hovering around the 1.0 mark I think balance can be achieved in mouthfeel, but then late hop and dry hop the crap out of it to get all that resinous flavor and aroma that makes a great IPA a wonderful experience.

By balance I don't mean the hops and malt should share equal stage rights, I do mean it should not be way too bitter for the gravity of the beer, although it must still have that end crisp bite on the palate.

With Pliny the Elder, we see that could mash enough boring American 2-row quite low, with very small amounts of flavorless corn sugar and carapils, and just a bit of crystal 45 to achieve a very good hoppy beer. This beer contains nearly a pound hops for the typical homebrewer batch size and uses a very neutral, clean yeast. This is not a balanced beer. It's smooth, but that's a different term. I would even make the claim that with less crystal and a lower mash temp, you would have an even better beer.

A lot of folks think you need to balance out these bitter, hop forward styles of beers, and I think it's completely insane. I'm a chef so I know all about balance, but when discussing IPAs you kind of throw the term balance out the window. You will never be able to truly understand and appreciate the style if you don't see the beauty in the un-balance. Brewing a great IPA/IIPA is not about hitting the appropriate levels of sweet, sour, salty, savory, bitter, spicy in a sort of harmony... It's about blasting you with pleasant flavor and aroma that utterly wows you, yet keeping things crisp, clean, drinkable, not too hot with alcohol, innately bitter yet not harsh like paint thinner, and showcasing those hops for all of their glory.

Time to jump on board guys!!... or call what you're brewing something other than an IPA/IIPA like Troegs does with Nugget Nectar... Just kidding... I guess my preference is just more of a clean, West Coast IPA. For me, a good dry, clean, hoppy, bitter WC IPA is the gold standard of the style. It is my perfection.

To each their own...anyways...has anyone out there crafted an IPA you thought to be perfect for you tastes and if so what elements of that beer made it the ultimate IPA for you? Recipes are always welcome so we can make this thread about outstanding examples of the style and the search for IPA greatness and perfection!

My Nugget Empire is one of my favorite beers though I've only made it once. It started as Yooper's Stone Ruination clone but I subbed all Nugget hops for flavor/aroma. I used CTZ for bittering. I was shooting for around 100 IBU's but overshot gravity on the batch and had to dilute post-boil. I estimate the final IBU's were in the high 70's. The ABV was ~8.5%. I used Yooper's hop schedule, scaled for my batch (by IBU's of each addition and then by proportion for late additions and dry-hop).

What I think was the real show-stopper was accidentally pitching a Kolsch slurry instead of chico. I had done a partigyle brew and had two beers, two yeasts at one time. I accidentally pitched the Kolsch yeast into the DIPA, but it fermented from 1.078 to ~1.013. There was a great fruitiness, but not too much...it complimented the flavor hops just right.

The finished product didn't drink like an imperial at all. I had to be very careful drinking it. It had great floral, inviting nose and a semi-sweet finish with enough malt to keep any harsh bitterness off the tongue. It was one of my best beers yet.

What I think was the real show-stopper was accidentally pitching a Kolsch slurry instead of chico. I had done a partigyle brew and had two beers, two yeasts at one time. I accidentally pitched the Kolsch yeast into the DIPA, but it fermented from 1.078 to ~1.013. There was a great fruitiness, but not too much...it complimented the flavor hops just right.

So that's why you suggested a kolsch yeast earlier...the true story comes out! Sometimes accidents are the greatest thing that could happen!!! Awesome.

So that's why you suggested a kolsch yeast earlier...the true story comes out! Sometimes accidents are the greatest thing that could happen!!! Awesome.

Trust me, I was upset as hell when I realized what I'd just done. I thought that the yeast couldn't handle the ABV the beer would reach. It turns out it was the best IPA I've made. Of course, the beer that was supposed to be a Kolsch got chico and ended up tasting like a 1000x better miller lite.

I am a big fan of English style IPAs but the American style is way to hoppy for my taste; the bitterness takes the skin right off my teeth...

That being said I have had one I made with Warrior and Citra but it was four (4) months in the bottles before I could enjoy one... ant that was kind-a fun seeing how it changed over time.

I made 5 cases and they lasted over a year... I brewed and kegged a lot over the same period and made this medium to strong, high hopped beer just to use all the damn bottles that were lieing around...

American IPA = beer saturated with hop oils. There is some bitterness and a healthy amount of alcohol however the hop flavor and aroma are the focus. The bitterness, alcohol and slight malty/caramel sweetness are all backup players who are framing the main player which is amazing hoppiness. I'd say that you can't have too many hops for this style as long as they are added late in the boil because you definitely can have an american IPA where the bitterness detracts from the hop flavors.

I think the recipe is certainly important for a great IPA, but the freshness is just as key. As soon as you drop the hops in the wort (or dry hop), those flavor and aroma compounds start degrading from there. Even under ideal conditions (CO2 transfers, negligible exposure to oxygen, beer kept near freezing), the hop profile starts to decline noticeably after about a month or two. Certain hops seem to fade faster than others, and secondary hop aromas (still hoppy, but in a different way) become evident as those compounds oxidize.

I'd say that you can't have too many hops for this style as long as they are added late in the boil because you definitely can have an american IPA where the bitterness detracts from the hop flavors.

This is my typical line of thinking as well...too much bitterness can detract from the complexities that the hop oils bring to the party.

greenbirds...yep, freshness is very key as well. When I make an IPA I like to go through it in less than 6 weeks...which usually is'nt a problem!

I think the recipe is certainly important for a great IPA, but the freshness is just as key. As soon as you drop the hops in the wort (or dry hop), those flavor and aroma compounds start degrading from there. Even under ideal conditions (CO2 transfers, negligible exposure to oxygen, beer kept near freezing), the hop profile starts to decline noticeably after about a month or two. Certain hops seem to fade faster than others, and secondary hop aromas (still hoppy, but in a different way) become evident as those compounds oxidize.

That's why I drink my IPA's and IIPA's young. Dry-hop in the keg, too. I tried a bottle that was maybe 3 weeks old last night and it wasn't nearly as good as the kegged version was when fresh. It's key to control ferm temps, pitch the right amount of yeast (starter) at the right temp, and do everything right so you CAN enjoy the beer young. Same with hefe's/wits.

bobbrews said:
The perfect IPA is not about balance. It is an inherently bitter style of beer. That doesn't mean you have to be blasted with bitterness. But the beer should be mainly bitter in flavor.

Right Now it is for sure, but wasnt the original aged on Pounds of Hops

I think the balance needs to be between the three hop components, with the malt taking a back seat while still being strong enough to hold the beer up.

You need the flavor, aroma, and bitterness to mesh well together. A bitter beer with no flavor/aroma is completely different from one balanced between all three facets.

I think the balance needs to be between the three hop components, with the malt taking a back seat while still being strong enough to hold the beer up.

You need the flavor, aroma, and bitterness to mesh well together. A bitter beer with no flavor/aroma is completely different from one balanced between all three facets.

Agreed...cheers to that!

**Update**
I'm dry hopping tonight on my 1st batch of pursuing IPA Perfection. I plan on using 28 grams each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial. Also I plan on brewing a single hop IPA using the same malt bill. Here's what I have on hand: Columbus, Calypso, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Willamette, Bravo, Falconer's Flight, Pacific Jade. Any suggestions?

**Update**
I'm dry hopping tonight on my 1st batch of pursuing IPA Perfection. I plan on using 28 grams each of Simcoe, Amarillo, and Centennial. Also I plan on brewing a single hop IPA using the same malt bill. Here's what I have on hand: Columbus, Calypso, Cascade, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, Willamette, Bravo, Falconer's Flight, Pacific Jade. Any suggestions?

It's kind of like asking what toppings you want on your ice cream, i.e. fudge, peanuts, marshmallows, sprinkles, gummy bears, coconut, caramel...

All would be good. It's about personal preference and depends on what overall character you're after. With hops, that character is piney, citrusy, earthy, dank, resinous, floral, spicy, herbal, tropical, fruity, etc. etc. etc.

One choice won't be perfect for everyone.

And in the interest of actually contributing something to this thread I wanted to add this. I just brewed an IPA about a week ago with the following hop schedule;

1 oz - Tettnanger (AA 4.5), Type: Pellet, Use: First Wort
1 oz - Chinook (AA 11) for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Cascade (AA 7) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
0.5 oz - Citra (AA 13) for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Chinook (AA 11) for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil
1 oz - Citra (AA 11) at flameout, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil

Although it's only been a week, the krausen just settled today so I took a hydrometer reading, and the 1oz or so of beer that I decided to taste was literally one of the best things to ever happen to my face. My mouth was so happy that the rest of my head got jealous.

After another week for the yeast to flocculate and some carbonation, I'm thinking I might have a good beer on my hands. :D

I like the floral aromas of Nugget. It's got a sweetness like candy, not citrusy, not earthy or like dirt...I'd say a floral hop.

I'd go with Willamette, Bravo, Simcoe...probably Bravo out of those.

Last night I dry hopped the first batch with 28 grams of Centennial, 28 grams of Simcoe, and 56 grams of Amarillo. I also made the Pacific Jade IPA and you can view my notes here: http://www.smallbatchhomebrew.com/Session-8-Pacific-Jade_b_16.html. I'll be making another single hop beer within the next few days or week and will post my tasting notes for a all Calypso IPA, which i just cracked last night. Cheers!

If you are looking for the perfect IPA, don't forget the water chemistry. I have really soft water, and could not get a decent IPA without adding the proper minerals and salts.

You raise a good point about water chemistry. In the past I have monkeyed with a few different profiles based on a variety of additions, but lately I have been shying away from these additions. I know it is standard practice in a lot of commercial and home breweries to make these water modifications, but I want to keep it simple and rely on great ingredients in the proper proportions. My water is kind of right in the middle of soft and hard so it is pretty good for most styles, which is also another reason I haven't made it a big focus. Plus for me, hops are more fun to play with than salt!!!

I bottled the recipe listed at the beginning of this post and WOW...it smelled ridiculous! I can't wait for this to be carbed, but at 68 deg F and flat it still tasted really freakin' good! This may be one of the best IPAs we've ever made. Also, since that brew we've done 2 single hop beers (same malt bill): Pacific Jade and Falconer's Flight. Next up for the single hop beer might be Bravo. As soon as we get to tasting we'll report back with the results. Cheers!

My Nugget Empire is one of my favorite beers though I've only made it once. It started as Yooper's Stone Ruination clone but I subbed all Nugget hops for flavor/aroma. I used CTZ for bittering. I was shooting for around 100 IBU's but overshot gravity on the batch and had to dilute post-boil. I estimate the final IBU's were in the high 70's. The ABV was ~8.5%. I used Yooper's hop schedule, scaled for my batch (by IBU's of each addition and then by proportion for late additions and dry-hop).

The finished product didn't drink like an imperial at all. I had to be very careful drinking it. It had great floral, inviting nose and a semi-sweet finish with enough malt to keep any harsh bitterness off the tongue. It was one of my best beers yet.

Hey, tre9er (or if anyone else knows) have you posted that recipe anywhere - your Nugget Empire? I'm interested in giving that a try - it sounds really tasty. I tried a search but came up empty.

Hey, tre9er (or if anyone else knows) have you posted that recipe anywhere - your Nugget Empire? I'm interested in giving that a try - it sounds really tasty. I tried a search but came up empty.

Sorry for the late response. I'm still perfecting it, but here is a basic feel for it:

9g. batch, 1.076 OG., ~70 IBU

American 2-row 24lbs.
Pale Ale Malt 0lbs. (this time I was out. Last time it was almost 50/50 2-row/Pale Ale)
American Crystal 40 1.5lbs. (to color, around 8 SRM)

Mashed at 154 to keep some of the malt (60m).

Columbus Pellet No 2.00 60
Nugget Pellet No 1.00 30
Nugget Pellet No 1.00 10
Nugget Pellet No 1.00 1 (really a flameout hop after temp dropped slightly below boiling)
Nugget Pellet No 2.00 Dry

Dry hopped for 4-5 days after primary ferm, as I needed to keg it. I only primary fermented it for a little over a week, controlled in the high 60's the whole time with a repitch (1L starter) of chico (US-05/WLP001). I used a Kolsch yeast the first time, but now I'm convinced the Nugget hops steal the show here.

I like this one young. I also threw in about 1oz. dry-hop in the keg in a voile "bag" with twisty-tie holding it closed. There were hop particles in some of the pours, which doesn't bother me in the least.

tre9er said:
Sorry for the late response. I'm still perfecting it, but here is a basic feel for it:

9g. batch, 1.076 OG., ~70 IBU

American 2-row 24lbs.
Pale Ale Malt 0lbs. (this time I was out. Last time it was almost 50/50 2-row/Pale Ale)
American Crystal 40 1.5lbs. (to color, around 8 SRM)

Mashed at 154 to keep some of the malt (60m).

Columbus Pellet No 2.00 60
Nugget Pellet No 1.00 30
Nugget Pellet No 1.00 10
Nugget Pellet No 1.00 1 (really a flameout hop after temp dropped slightly below boiling)
Nugget Pellet No 2.00 Dry

Dry hopped for 4-5 days after primary ferm, as I needed to keg it. I only primary fermented it for a little over a week, controlled in the high 60's the whole time with a repitch (1L starter) of chico (US-05/WLP001). I used a Kolsch yeast the first time, but now I'm convinced the Nugget hops steal the show here.

I like this one young. I also threw in about 1oz. dry-hop in the keg in a voile "bag" with twisty-tie holding it closed. There were hop particles in some of the pours, which doesn't bother me in the least.

Sweet, I might try your recipe with some fresh Nugget hops on my first year plant

For me the pinnacle of the IPA is the Ninkasi Total Domination. I'd recommend trying one if you can to see if you like it. I'm planning on trying to do a clone of this next, for my perfect IPA. I haven't found a definitive recipe, but I heard it uses a London ESB yeast, and Summit bittering, and some combo of amarillo and centennial for flavor and aroma. For me this is the perfect balance of super hoppy, but also very drinkable beer.

For me the pinnacle of the IPA is the Ninkasi Total Domination. I'd recommend trying one if you can to see if you like it. I'm planning on trying to do a clone of this next, for my perfect IPA. I haven't found a definitive recipe, but I heard it uses a London ESB yeast, and Summit bittering, and some combo of amarillo and centennial for flavor and aroma. For me this is the perfect balance of super hoppy, but also very drinkable beer.

It's probably a lot like this, with lower gravity, fewer hops, and a slightly different malt bill.

http://hopville.com/recipe/1351115/imperial-ipa-recipes/tricerahops-clone

Back