Purpose for gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob869007

Mmmmm Beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Does the gypsum help extract the enzymes/sugars from the grain? Or is for flavor? I am making a pale ale from a partial mash and I forgot to add the gypsum to the steeping water. How will this effect the final product because I really like the beer I sampled. Thanks.

Gypsum is calcium sulfate.

Sulfate helps to bring out the hop flavor in the beer. It may or may not be helpful depending on how much sulfate is in your water. You can add it to the boil and it will have the desired effect.

The calcium is important for the yeast. Again, may be helpful depending on the calcium content of your water.

Gypsum is mainly for adding hardness to water and reducing pH. It also contributes calcium and sulfate ions. I use it when I'm starting with RO water. It's probably not that big of a deal that you forgot to add it. If you like the beer you sampled that's all that's really important.

Gypsum is mainly for adding hardness to water and reducing pH. It also contributes calcium and sulfate ions. I use it when I'm starting with RO water. It's probably not that big of a deal that you forgot to add it. If you like the beer you sampled that's all that's really important.

The beer that I sampled was not from this batch. I guess I should pointed that out. Also, the sample I had was out of the secondary. No carbonation and it was great. Mine is on the stove now. I'm hoping for similar results to what I tasted. Thanks to both of you for the information on the gypsum.

Back