purging headspace with CO2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faber

Reaction score
Lately when I rack to the secondary, I've been purging the headspace in the newly-filled carboy with CO2. But I've never looked into this as a good/bad thing. Seems like a god idea, but what the hell do I know?

Is there any ill effect from doing so?

TIA

you might blow a booger or something in there.
I'd imagine that Co2 plant's are not exactly sterile environments...but it's gonna end up in the beeer anyway.

I do it to.

This is exactly what commercial breweries do to get rid of oxygen in the headspace and minimize the chances of oxygenation. It is a good idea as long as you are being sanitary about it. I do it sometimes but most of the time I don't. I know others that won't fill anything without doing it.

Never done it never will. If you brew a big enough batch how much airspace will you have in a 5 gallon carboy? Not enough to worry about.

I have only NOT done this once.... and the batch did go bad. Not sying it was the reason but it did go bad and thats the only thing I could point my finger at, at the time.

I always do it and go slow about it as to not pull in any buggers
JJ

I've done it both ways and had good results with both. I don't think it's strictly necessary, but having that blanket of CO2 definitely can't hurt. I suppose you could potentially blow something into the carboy that could infect the beer, but I'd pin the probability of any micro organisms you blow in there being viable as just a tick above zero.

I read about putting an ounce of dry ice in the carboy with dry hops as the ice sublimates into CO2 it purges the hops and carboy of O2. Never tried it but it sounds like a good idea.

Although these one here do it, there's also an equal number of people on here who don't, and don't have a problem with their beers not turning out.

I don't think it's gonna matter either way, because the beer you are racking over is wrapped in a blanket CO2 anyway and is going to purge the O2 up and out of the secondary as you are racking. That's one of the reasons we rack from bottom to top...it pushes the O2 out.

Also the act of racking will get the yeasty beasties going and they will produce some additional CO2 all by themselves...that's why a lot of n00bs panic and post that the airlock in secondary is bubbling.

Having said that if you have the capabilities to do it, then go for it...it won't hurt. It's kinda like sanitization...There's no such thing as too much.

But for any n00bs watching, you DON'T have to go out an buy a can of CO2 in order to rack or to make good beer....You can, but it is a preference, not a mandatory thing.

OK.. Thanks, guys. So it can't hurt, and might even be a desirable added protection.

Brewing/beer-making can be really simple, or as complex as we like. I only do this because I keg, have the stuff, and it's no bother...and the protection seems greater. I've actually never lost a batch in the secondary, ever. (I've lost them elsewhere...but not there.)

Thanks again.

Back