Punk Rock and Hardcore

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dfc said:
This may not be the thread for you. Feel free to never post in this thread again. We won't mind.

This indeed. Why take the time. Silly trolls

image-3409373868.jpg

image-3333640872.jpg

They're playing here tomorrow night and I was initially going to go, but I'm leaving EARLY Saturday morning on vacation and have to work all day Friday. I have to pack tomorrow night...

This may not be the thread for you. Feel free to never post in this thread again. We won't mind.

UP THE PUNX!

Anyone here like "Direct Hit!"?
They totally suck. In the very best way possible. Still kicking myself for missing their last show around here

On my way to the legendary Vex Arts Center. To go see the also legendary Black Flag. Gonna stop at the House of Blues on Sunset and buy tix to the Misfits/D.I. and the Dickies for nov. 15.

Should be a great day !!'

Black Flag last night was epic. Chavo still sounds great and Ginn still tears it up. The pit was 1 shove away from a riot. Love seeing all the young kids out there thrashing around. Cool to see the scene live on.

One complaint. : Good For You , it's Ginns other band. Acid rock with a pearl jam kinda sound but a suicidal kinda attitude??? Idk what to say. Not horrible. But it was way out of place and they played for over an hour putting everyone to sleep.

A moment please. A good skin died today. A violent car crash. This is for you Ronnie

Last edited by a moderator:
stupid things fresh cuts do/say:
yell, "skin-HEAD,skin-HEAD!" during every song at every show.

claim to like very popular English/Irish beers just because it's more skinheaderly.

claim that they have to like soccer because that's what the old skins were into.

when someone calls them out on being a skin, they have to go off on a very well rehearsed speech about "The Spirit of '69" and brag to their friends later about it.

when the cops show up, turn to the closest black guy & say, "Quick, shake my hand so they don't think I'm racist."

claim that you have to listen to reggae/northern soul/dub or you "aren't a true skin".

worry about & try to call out other skins on the color of their laces & braces.

talk sh%t to every punk they see (even though they were claiming punk the week before).

use British slang in every conversation, though they had never been to England.

puff up at everyone who looks at them.

stupid things fresh cuts do/say:
yell, "skin-HEAD,skin-HEAD!" during every song at every show.

That or that every single song must feature "oi oi oi!" somewhere in it.

claim to like very popular English/Irish beers just because it's more skinheaderly.

claim that they have to like soccer because that's what the old skins were into.

I would add "wearing a flat cap because they're working class as f@&#."

With the caveat that I do all three of those things. But not for the same reasons.

when someone calls them out on being a skin, they have to go off on a very well rehearsed speech about "The Spirit of '69" and brag to their friends later about it.

when the cops show up, turn to the closest black guy & say, "Quick, shake my hand so they don't think I'm racist."

If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

claim that you have to listen to reggae/northern soul/dub or you "aren't a true skin".

I'd say if you don't respect em, you ain't a true skin. Doesn't mean you have to like them. Same way you don't have to have a fetish for Vespas or Lambrettas. But knowing your roots matters as far as I'm concerned.

worry about & try to call out other skins on the color of their laces & braces.

That depends on where you live. But assuming there's some universal code, yeah.

talk sh%t to every punk they see (even though they were claiming punk the week before).

Nothing wrong with calling out an Oogle as a f#*@ing modern day hippie :rockin:

use British slang in every conversation, though they had never been to England.

I do this. But I grew up over there. It's pretty easy to tell when someone's actually lived there, or if they just learned the word "bollocks" from the Sex Pistols.

puff up at everyone who looks at them.

I get it much more from the hardcore kids than from skins.

That or that every single song must feature "oi oi oi!" somewhere in it.

I would add "wearing a flat cap because they're working class as f@&#."

With the caveat that I do all three of those things. But not for the same reasons.

If you can't take the heat stay out of the kitchen.

I'd say if you don't respect em, you ain't a true skin. Doesn't mean you have to like them. Same way you don't have to have a fetish for Vespas or Lambrettas. But knowing your roots matters as far as I'm concerned.

That depends on where you live. But assuming there's some universal code, yeah.

Nothing wrong with calling out an Oogle as a f#*@ing modern day hippie :rockin:

I do this. But I grew up over there. It's pretty easy to tell when someone's actually lived there, or if they just learned the word "bollocks" from the Sex Pistols.

I get it much more from the hardcore kids than from skins.
that was just a quick run down from my days around a ton of freshies. forgot about the flat caps & scooters though. hahahaa!! yeah, regions are all different, but when I was in Vegas the only ones who cared about lace/brace color were the freshies. that's pretty well nail on the head though.:mug:

Ya. I remember being new to the scene (19 years ago) and remembering being old that you had to "pick a side" cause here in Los Angeles is was either white or black. But most of the WP skins acted more like gangsters and essays than SkinHeads. I grew up around alot of trads but there was such a tight skinhead scene in the SFV that we ALL spent alot of time together. Trojans and Sharpies would show up to an RAC show. Or vice versa. And everything would be all good. There were the odd incidents when it would actually turn into gang warfare like I was always told it was suppose to be.

Some oft dearest friends grew up in the cockney area in the 70's and the stories they tell about how it all came about makes all the in-fighting over politics seem asinine.

image-2781838967.jpg

The whole "lil skin" thing is the best thing ever.

Always loved this album cover for that reason.

TheOppressed-2.jpg

That and "This Is England".

Haha I love it too! You just know the kid's up to no good!

I played in a crust-punk band years ago when I witnessed the biggest brawl I have ever seen, It was between, you guessed it, skins and punks. Luckily my band wasn't playing that night and I never looked much like a punk anyway so me and my lady made it out of the bar untouched. :mug:

Sik how long this thread is!! \m/>_<\m/

I'll try to list some Punk Bands I've seen live at least once (that I can even remember at the moment) and excluding the numerous local opening bands that I fail to recall:
This was mostly during the early 90s when I was in my 20s... I'll still see an occasional show when I can. Still love all the classic British and American Punk Rock of the 70s and 80s as well.

-ALL (formerly The Descendants (we followed these guys around a bit) Bill, former drummer of Black Flag once told me that he could make a living just off current Black Flag profits.

-Descendents
-Bad Religion
-Big Drill Car
-Citizen Fish
-Crimpshrine
-Cringer
-Filth
-Five Iron Frenzy
-Flogging Molly
-Fugazi
-Goldfinger
-Green Day (for $5 at 7th street entry MN when all their stuff was still on vinyl, I remember Billie Joe almost getting into a fight with a heckler)
-Guttermouth
-Lagwagon
-L7
-Less Than Jake
-MxPx
-Pegboy
-Reel Big Fish
-Reliant K
-The Toasters
-House of Large Sizes
-Draghounds
-Lonely Trojans
-Aztec Mummy
-The Melvins
-Chainsaw Kittens
-Grain
-Clear
-Village Idiot
-Total Passover
-Sludgeworth
-Horace Pinker

Sik how long this thread is!! \m/>_<\m/

I'll try to list some Punk Bands I've seen live at least once (that I can even remember at the moment) and excluding the numerous local opening bands that I fail to recall:
This was mostly during the early 90s when I was in my 20s... I'll still see an occasional show when I can. Still love all the classic British and American Punk Rock of the 70s and 80s as well.

-ALL (formerly The Descendants (we followed these guys around a bit) Bill, former drummer of Black Flag once told me that he could make a living just off current Black Flag profits.

-Descendents
-Bad Religion
-Big Drill Car
-Citizen Fish
-Crimpshrine
-Cringer
-Filth
-Five Iron Frenzy
-Flogging Molly
-Fugazi
-Goldfinger
-Green Day (for $5 at 7th street entry MN when all their stuff was still on vinyl, I remember Billie Joe almost getting into a fight with a heckler)
-Guttermouth
-Lagwagon
-L7
-Less Than Jake
-MxPx
-Pegboy
-Reel Big Fish
-Reliant K
-The Toasters
-House of Large Sizes
-Draghounds
-Lonely Trojans
-Aztec Mummy
-The Melvins
-Chainsaw Kittens
-Grain
-Clear
-Village Idiot
-Total Passover
-Sludgeworth
-Horace Pinker

I just saw Guttermouth a few months ago. They opened up for the Reverend Horton Heat. Really small venue. What an awesome show that was!

I just saw Guttermouth a few months ago. They opened up for the Reverend Horton Heat. Really small venue. What an awesome show that was!

Ahh nice! I've had several chances to see R.Horten Heat but for some reason can't make the show. In 1993 a friend asked me to go to a very small venue to see a band named "Smashing Pumpkins" but I passed on it, LOL. Also around the same time we were talking with Bill Stevenson after an ALL show and he asked us if we wanted to pick up some beer and hangout. I passed on that too, wow I'm a *******!

ShaineT said:
Ahh nice! I've had several chances to see R.Horten Heat but for some reason can't make the show. In 1993 a friend asked me to go to a very small venue to see a band named "Smashing Pumpkins" but I passed on it, LOL. Also around the same time we were talking with Bill Stevenson after an ALL show and he asked us if we wanted to pick up some beer and hangout. I passed on that too, wow I'm a *******!

Heat puts on a great show! A must see.
I did see the Pumpkins in San Diego in 93, small venue. Way cool.
I did drink a couple beers with Trent Reznor, backstage after a show in 94. Totally insane on stage and completely mellow backstage.

So Jodie Fosters Army is having a CD release show show in a couple weeks. D.I. is opening for them. Probably go check it out. It's in Long Beach CA if any of the locals here wanna check it out.

image-1059909840.jpg

MaddBaggins said:
I never would have guessed JFA was still around. I remember them from the mid 80's skate scene.

Ya. Me too. At least the tail end of it. My friends in the band Amerikan Made that's on the bill. He said there's some official tribute cd and its the release show. Not a new album. I'm stoked. Haven't seen em play in like 10 years.

F#*# god d#@#@( mother f#@$* sh#*##%#@% r#@$*(!!!!!!!

September 13th, Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Final Conflict, Coke Bust, and Magrudergrind (headliner is Eyehategod, which I could take or leave, but I love AF and Cro-Mags). September 14th is Zwanze Day.

The wife is currently on the dole, and I can only afford one or the other.

Qhrumphf said:
F#*# god d#@#@( mother f#@$* sh#*##%#@% r#@$*(!!!!!!!

September 13th, Agnostic Front, Cro-Mags, Final Conflict, Coke Bust, and Magrudergrind (headliner is Eyehategod, which I could take or leave, but I love AF and Cro-Mags). September 14th is Zwanze Day.

The wife is currently on the dole, and I can only afford one or the other.

Well being from the west coast and not getting to see a lot of the great east coast hardcore bands, anytime I'd get to see cro-mags I'd take it.

Back