Pumps and Motors in a brewhouse.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtisj

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information regarding the motors and pumps that would be required for a 10 bbl set up. I am trying to learn the uses and types of pumps and motors and how they work in the brewhouse
cheers

Just some guesses, since I work in a cheese plant as opposed to a brewery.

1) Motors should all be TEFC (totally enclosed fan cooled). That way they can survive a washdown environment.
2) Pumps would need to be sized to the specific application - length / size of pipe, required flow, etc. With 300 gallons of liquid, moving it around in a reasonable time, you'll be looking at standard all-stainless centrifugal sanitary pumps. Learn how to read a pump curve data sheet. I know at my plant, we've got a mix of vendors - Waukesha, Fristam, SEW Eurodrive, etc.
3) Just to be safe, look for equipment with a 3A sanitary rating.

Ahhh...now that i can post again let me put my 2 cents in here :D
I deal with allot of people that are looking for pumps that can handle wet areas. A standard TEFC motor, although fairly decently sealed, is not rated for a wash-down area. They have "IP" ratings or NEMA ratings for different class' of motor. What you would want is a TEFC with a rating of IP54 or better. Or NEMA 3 or better. Most TEFC motors, if not tested for liquid intrusion, will be an IP50. The "IP" stands for Ingress Protection. The first number after "IP" will be for solids protection. 5 is for dust and it means that dust is not entirely prevented from going inside, but it must not enter in sufficient quantity to interfere with the satisfactory operation of the equipment. The second number will be for liquid protection. The number 4 is for water splashing against the enclosure from any direction. Anything lower in number is less protection and for the most part just used for accidental indirect spraying.
If your going to be setting up a brew house for commercial use then i would go the extra step in getting a better motor. A standard TEFC non rated motor will probably work if your careful....but the thing that will catch up to you sooner or later is that one inspector that's doing his job a little tooo good and checking every little thing about the setup to justify his job! :)

Back