Pumpkin Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwebb

Reaction score
When making pumpkin wine do you need to boil the grated pumpkin flesh or just put it in the primary with sugar and water to start?

Just add to the must. But I will say that pumpkin is a very delicate flavor. After primary and you are racking to secondary. Rack onto additional pumpkin and sweet potatoe. 2 parts pumpkin to 1 part sweet potatoe. The sweet potatoe seems to impart more "pumpkiny" flavor to the end product. The sweet potatoe should be cooked a bit. Just wrap in tinfoil and place in an oven at 350 for 30 minutes.

I would even consider roasting your pumpkin for a few minutes. This will bring more sugar forward and tends to pull a bit more flavor.

When I did my spiced pumpkin mead without the addition of sweet potatoe I was dissapointed in the flavor. I eventually blendedit with a heavily spiced hard cider to bring some flavor forward. So adding cinnamon along with some ginger, nutmeg & clove would be a good idea.

I pour boiling sugar water over the grated flesh in the primary. Be sure to strain, strain, strain and strain again when you go to secondary. My batch last night went from 1 3/4 gal in primary to 1 gal after straining and still has quite a bit of sediment settling on the bottom. Be supprised if I only end up salvaging 3 bottles out of the batch because I didn't strain it enough.

Good luck

Ill agree with the sediment problem with pumpkin. I started with 2 gallons and ended at about 1 gallon once all cleard.

Back