Pumpkin Pie, just mashed in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewhaha_rva

Reaction score
Its about this time that I start thinking about Pumpkin, today especially because the weather in the District of Columbia is quite nice and cool for the season.

Has anybody just prepared a couple of pumpkin pies, graham cracker crust and all, and just mashed those puppies in? I'm wondering if that would work. It would save all the debate about how much spice to put in and, also, would be kind of fun. I'm thinking about trying it. Any idea?

Best

I haven't done it, but I do brew quite a few pumpkin ales this time of year and think that the extra effort is not worth it. My pumpkin beers always taste like pumpkin pie by just mashing the pumping and adding pie spice at 5 minutes. Besides, that's a waste of pumpkin pie!

I just roast a couple cans of Libby's pure pumpkin with brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice. I mash that in, at a dose of spices at the end of the boil and also after fermentation. Comes out great every year!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I know I've read a thread where someone did this. I think they said all the milk and oil and fat from the pie made for some weird looking stuff in the fermenter. I'm pretty sure the thread ended with the beer turning out fine but the OP said they wouldn't go through the trouble because there wasn't really any difference. Try googling it.

I know I've read a thread where someone did this. I think they said all the milk and oil and fat from the pie made for some weird looking stuff in the fermenter. I'm pretty sure the thread ended with the beer turning out fine but the OP said they wouldn't go through the trouble because there wasn't really any difference. Try googling it.

I've heard this would happen too. The fats would float to the surface, could turn rancid, and could destroy head retention.
I bet you could mimic a real pie with the right grain choice, and maybe using a yeast that would leave a fair amount of diacetyl.

Back