Mecca Grade Opal 22

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rob2010SS

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone used this malt before? It’s advertised as having a Graham character to it and I’m wondering if it’s really prevalent or if you have to really search for it in the flavor.

Looking to do a key lime pie sour. I’ve tried grahams in the mash before and in my experience, it’s a waste of money. It doesn’t come through in the final product. I would LOVE to avoid artificial flavoring or extracts. Although Amoretti has those alcohol based extracts that, while we’ve only used one thus far, they seem pretty solid. However that would be a last resort.

In a lighter colored beer 5-7 SRM maybe, with lactose, key lime zest, vanilla, and soured with lacto to 3.1-3.2, would Opal 22 be able to emulate the Graham cracker crust on its own? It will not be the only malt used. It would just be the only malt advertised as giving Graham character, which is what I was referring to when I said “on its own”.

Thanks in advance

In my experience you have to search for it. I keep adding more and more to a "chocolate" stout that I actually put some nibs in. I'm up to 50/50 Pale Ale and Opal 22 and can't tell a difference along the way from 1st batch not using it at all. No s-de-side comparison of course but I've never thought "wow, it actually tastes like graham cracker". At all.

Then again w/ the chocolate malt, nibs, and so on I could be drowning out anything the Opal 22 contributed. I have no regrets using it, but it hasn't done what I've hoped for. It's $ too.

I hope someone else has a different result. Maybe I need to bump the % or back out some of the other ingredients. I'd really love to get that flavor eventually.

Good info. That could be where my issue with grahams comes from too. I’ve used them in dark beers solely and it could be that the strong roast flavors drown them out. Curious on whether someone has a different experience with lighter beers and Opal 22

I’ve used 44 in a couple of Ordinary Bitters, but there were other malts along with some invert sugar that I wouldn’t know exactly what it contributed, but the beer was delicious.

I just used 22 in a Czech dark lager that’s not quite ready, but tastes fantastic. Since this is a darker beer, I can’t tell you exactly what it individually is contributing.

I always take these descriptions with a grain of salt. Companies need to describe some type of aroma and flavor to separate from the others, and they’re usually extremely exaggerated. For marketing purposes they’re pulling at straws really hard to excite customers. At best, most of what is described you’d have to dig deep, and probably convince yourself that you’re tasting or smelling what they describe.

My gut just tells me to go with the flavorings. A sour is going to overpower any subtleties you may get from this malt.

I’ve used 44 in a couple of Ordinary Bitters, but there were other malts along with some invert sugar that I wouldn’t know exactly what it contributed, but the beer was delicious.

I just used 22 in a Czech dark lager that’s not quite ready, but tastes fantastic. Since this is a darker beer, I can’t tell you exactly what it individually is contributing.

I always take these descriptions with a grain of salt. Companies need to describe some type of aroma and flavor to separate from the others, and they’re usually extremely exaggerated. For marketing purposes they’re pulling at straws really hard to excite customers. At best, most of what is described you’d have to dig deep, and probably convince yourself that you’re tasting or smelling what they describe.

My gut just tells me to go with the flavorings. A sour is going to overpower any subtleties you may get from this malt.
Well said!! We went with this malt to try it out but we bought flavorings as well so we have a backup if needed.

I have not used 22. I can say 44 gives a distinct toasted marshmallow flavor.

Metolious is my go to for graham cracker flavor, be careful about going overboard with it. 3-4% of the grist has been the sweet spot for me when trying to get graham cracker without some of the more aggressive character of metolious.

I bet Metolious and some opal 22 would work well together.

I have not used 22. I can say 44 gives a distinct toasted marshmallow flavor.

Metolious is my go to for graham cracker flavor, be careful about going overboard with it. 3-4% of the grist has been the sweet spot for me when trying to get graham cracker without some of the more aggressive character of metolious.

I bet Metolious and some opal 22 would work well together.
I’ll have to keep this in mind for next time. We brewed two days ago. Used 7 lbs of Opal 22 and 20 lbs of Graham crackers crumbs. Tastes great pre fermentation, so we’ll see.

Note for anyone who uses that much Graham crumbs, unless our efficiency went through the roof for some reason, it added about a 15 pts to OG. Target was 1.080, ended with 1.095

Back