Pumpkin in Boil or mash? Both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reno_eNVy said:
I've had good results adding 1.5 Tbsp of mccormick's pumpkin pie spice with 5 minutes left in the boil for a 5 gallon batch

I use 2 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice from The Spice House in Illinois. Added at flameout. Great stuff!

Hey Franc103 how was the aroma and how strong was the taste wth the 2 tbsp of pumpkin pie spice.

I've had good results adding 1.5 Tbsp of mccormick's pumpkin pie spice with 5 minutes left in the boil for a 5 gallon batch

From my other thread... ...about 8 gallons.

I used 4 Tbs of McCormick's.

I also used 4 Bigelow's Green tea bags.

I can smell the starch in the steam and the kitchen overall smells like baking pumpkin pie.

I added it right before flame-out.

The fermentation smells spicy. I'm not getting a pumpkin pie sense of smell though.

Don't you hate when you read several pages of posts to see how things turned out and then it just stops with no end!!! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! TELL ME DAMN YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!;)

Has anyone tried using pumpkin in both the mash AND the boil? I'm planning on doing a 3 gal batch and have 2 27oz cans of pumpkin. Both cans seems like a lot to throw in the mash but I was thinking 1 in the tun and 1 in the kettle might be a good way to go. Since there seems to be such a debate over which is the best way, why not just do both!

I would go with the mash. I did one last year with both pumpkin and sweet potato. I baked until caramelized and then added it to the mash. It was quite tasty....

No problem. I'll end up putting a thread in the recipe section if it turns out good. So far it tastes like you'er drinking a pumpkin and it's still green. I hope it doesn't change much.

...maybe this all we'll ever learn.

Maybe JoeBronco ventured off to the north pole and was eaten by a polar bear, or gave up drinking and became a monk.....

:drunk:

I have the idea of "Mashing" the pumpkin puree separately. Essentially putting the canned pumpkin puree with 2-4 quarts of water and raising the temperature to 152 degrees for 30-60 min. Then strain the liquid and reserve it for the boiling pot. Has anyone tried this?

Back