pumpkin beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzuki98

Reaction score
I"m getting ready to brew smashing pumpkin extract from northern brewer. After I watched the video I need 2lbs of six row malt. The original recipe did not have pumpkin added to it. They gave me briess caramel 40 grains only. Well I want to add real pumpkin. I'm going to go off the cuff since I don't have the six row malt. Should I leave the briess caramel grains in with the pumpkin for the 1 hour they recommend? I"m asking because it's not the 6 row and wondering if the briess will give an off flavor being in that long.
Thanks

the video is here

http://www.northernbrewer.com/smashing-pumpkin-ale-extract-kit

The caramel 40 is for color when brewing without adding pumpkin. I would leave it in even with the pumpkin. You will need the six row, or if you can't get that 2 row would work, if you mash with the pumpkin the c-40 will not convert the starches in the pumpkin. I guess you could also add the pumpkin to a secondary without any 6 row. It would be different.

The thing to remember, and I know there's a minority of people who will argue against this until their blue in the face, but Pumpkin does NOT give flavor. It will add some body, but no flavor. Pumpkin, on it's own, really has no flavor.

The key is to use pumpkin spice to get pumpkin flavor. I see on the recipe they use 1 tsp of pumpkin spice. I usually use 2 tsp for a 5 gallon batch, because I want to taste it.

I usually take a 30 oz can of pumpkin, spread it on a baking sheet, and bake it for 60 mins at 365. Then add it to the boil with my 60 min addition. I still add pumpkin, but my point is, make sure you add enough spice. I've done 1 tsp and didn't think it was worth it, so now I do 2 tsp.

The key is to use pumpkin spice to get pumpkin flavor. I see on the recipe they use 1 tsp of pumpkin spice. I usually use 2 tsp for a 5 gallon batch, because I want to taste it.

I can't stress this enough. When i first started doing my recurring pumpkin, I added actual pumpkin. Once i stopped, i realized it added nothing to the beer. As Harbor mentioned, the stereotypical flavor comes only from the spice. Using actual pumpkin is more a pain in the ass if anything, since it really messes with the process (more difficult mash/lauter for all-grain, for example, and just a general mess for the extract process).

1 large can of pumpkin pie mix. Pre measured spice and pumpkin combo, pre sterilized, ready for the secondary.

1 large can of pumpkin pie mix. Pre measured spice and pumpkin combo, pre sterilized, ready for the secondary.

How would you suggest sterilizing the pie mix/spice combo? I totally think it's worth skipping the heartache in dealing with the pumpkin/pie mix and just using the spices. If you were set on using actual pumpkin, there should be no need to sterilize if adding post-fermentation.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother adding pumpkin. Not much flavor, some add it just to say "there's pumpkin in it". There's a recipe for this somewhere but basically it's a mason jar, 3 teaspoons of your typical pumpkin spices and then you fill the rest with vodka and leave it for 2 weeks. When you're ready to add the spice mixture to secondary or bottling, strain the vodka out and it will carry the pumpkin pie spice flavor with it.

On second thought.... I found it. Read this, just ignore the part about adding actual pumpkin. I've done it before myself and found it didn't really help at all.

EDIT* Sorry, meant to strain out the spices and keep the vodka for adding.
http://homebrewacademy.com/my-wifes-pumpkin-ale/

How would you suggest sterilizing the pie mix/spice combo? I totally think it's worth skipping the heartache in dealing with the pumpkin/pie mix and just using the spices. If you were set on using actual pumpkin, there should be no need to sterilize if adding post-fermentation.

Canned foods should already be pasteurized from the plant. Sanitize your can, and can opener, and you should be good.

I can't stress this enough. When i first started doing my recurring pumpkin, I added actual pumpkin. Once i stopped, i realized it added nothing to the beer. As Harbor mentioned, the stereotypical flavor comes only from the spice. Using actual pumpkin is more a pain in the ass if anything, since it really messes with the process (more difficult mash/lauter for all-grain, for example, and just a general mess for the extract process).

Amen on the mess part, brother. Real pumpkin is of no benefit IMHO. If real pumpkin was an important part of this beer, Northern Brewer would add a can of pumpkin puree in the kit and jack the price up accordingly. This beer is based on pumpkin spice only.

Also, when playing with spices, the age of your spices has a major impact. Pumpkin pie spice is cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, and all spice. Half a teaspoon of fresh grated cinnamon is powerful stuff - and a tablespoon of old cinnamon can be very weak. And that jar of pumpkin pie spice from thanksgiving 2010? Who knows.

Latest posts

Back