Pumpkin Amber Bock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add about 55-60 oz of pumpkin puree to the mash/steeping grains, then 1-2 tbs of pumpkin pie spice with 10 min left in the boil. That's the guidelines for a pumpkin ale. If you want it to be more subtle in the bock, decrease the amounts slightly.

I just made a pumpking batch and from what I read people suggested to spread the pumpkin puree on a large cooking sheet and back for 30-45 minutes at 325 or so. You want to cook it until it begins to brown.

This is the recipe I used and it discusses baking the pumpkin in post $5

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/punkin-ale-145060/

Pumpkin puree from a can is already cooked. You would typically only cook raw pumpkin from a pumpkin. You COULD cook the puree if you wanted to carmalize it a bit to bring out some more flavor, but if you don't literally slightly burn it, there's no real point. That sounds like it would be good in a bock-based pumpkin. It sounds to me like it'd be not so good in a typical amber-based pumpkin.

Back