Pumpkin ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRIPLEMSU

Reaction score
Need a great recipe for holidays...I have heard and seen a multitude of recipes...let me know if you have a goto for your extract brews...I would like one with spices and not really using pumpkin as I have heard it really doesn't give much flavor. Hops schedule/yeast/Whitlock/etc. thanks!!!

thunderstruck pumpkin ale, a recipe by our own yuri, is a tasty recipe, and roasting the pumpkin ( i know you mentioned maybe 1 without pumpkin ) makes the house smell like late fall

Another MSU fan here. Go GREEN!

I too am looking at a fall type beer... However I have a kit from Midwest for a Pumpkin ale, and it says for me to add my own pumpkin. Is anyone familiar with canned pumpkin? I've read that some people bake theirs for 20-30 minutes before adding to wort. What is the benefit of this? Is it necessary?

Still a noob here, just trying to find my way. Thanks for help!

Another MSU fan here. Go GREEN!

I too am looking at a fall type beer... However I have a kit from Midwest for a Pumpkin ale, and it says for me to add my own pumpkin. Is anyone familiar with canned pumpkin? I've read that some people bake theirs for 20-30 minutes before adding to wort. What is the benefit of this? Is it necessary?

Still a noob here, just trying to find my way. Thanks for help!

Just did this kit, it's currently in my secondary and I'll be bottling in another week or so. I used the pumpkin in the can, it's not the filling, it's pure pumpkin by Libby's. You bake it for 30 minutes or so at 350 to help carmelize the sugars and bring out the flavor before you either steep it with your grains before the boil or boil it the entire time. I chose to steep it with my grains in a large muslin bag. I used 4 cans along with 2 tbsps pumpkin pie spice, 2 tbsps cinnamon, 2 cups brown sugar, 1 tsp of cloves. I plan on adding another batch of these spices into the bottling bucket depending on taste by brewing up a tea so to speak. 1 cup water with the above spices again if it needs it. Smelled amazing while I was brewing it, but the spices are really subtle to the nose now. It'll be interesting to taste it in a week or so before I bottle. I will not be adding the brown sugar obviously..................don't need any bottle bombs! Oh and be prepared for alot of trub, I screened mine out before I put it in primary, but it clogged my screen 4 different times from all the stuff.

How long did you primary for?

And wouldn't it be better to add it to the secondary to pick up more of the flavors?

Just my quick thoughts.

About 3 weeks, the problem with spices is they get weak pretty quick so I figure adding it at bottling might give me some more time.

Latest posts

Back