Pumpkin Ale Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burns711

Reaction score
My wife wants me to brew a good pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving and I’m having trouble finding a recipe that I trust. She really likes the Shipyard Pumpkinhead so I’d like go brew something similar.

I’m looking for an all-grain recipe that doesn’t use actual pumpkin, only the spices.

Does anyone have a good one that they’ve brewed?

7.5 lbs US 2-row
2.5 lbs Munich
8 oz Crystal 80
4 oz Crystal 60
Mashed at 155 for 60 min

1oz Cluster hops at 60 minutes
1 lb dark brown sugar at flameout.

US-05 rehydrated

I made a tincture of 2 tsp of pumpkin spice, 2 oz of dark rum, and a whole vanilla bean. I added that to my keg and it made a sticky paste that clogged my faucet. I also got far more rum flavor than spice.
When I brew this again I'll probably add the spice at flameout and just soak the vanilla bean in an ounce of rum, strain that and add it to the keg.
I also added a can of pumpkin puree to my mash, but that could be left if you don't want it.

I have an EXCELLENT one that I brewed just a month ago and kicked the keg in 4 days. It was more imperial teritory (8.4%) but the taste was spot on without being too hot. I will post the recipie later tonight when I get off. It is a tried and trued recipie that pleases alot of people, even those that dont care for the spice too much.

I'll PM you the recipie :)

Ok, I decided to post it here just in case anyone else wants to see it. To start, I use 100% RO (or distilled works) water. I add all of my salts in the mash, and then I add my sparge salts in my HLT AFTER I have pulled my mash volume up. If you dont use RO and simply use your tap water, you SHOULD be ok without many salts, but I target the following:

CA - 50
MG - 8
SO - 38
SU - 82
CHL - 64.8
Bi - 101

to get to this using distilled water, I add the following into the MASH:
2.70g Baking Soda, 2.56g CaCL, 1.70 Epsom salt and 1.62g Gypsum

I add the following into the SPARGE water, after I'm mashed in, then stir and let it sit till i sparge out:
1.95g Baking Soda, 1.85g CaCL, 1.23 Epsom salt and 1.17g Gypsum

Or if your using BS3, I use the "Brown Balanced" profile.

I use a decent size (1L ) starter of Irish Ale (WY1084)

For this recipe, I use 2 cans of libby's 100% pumpkin ( have spread it out and baked it at 350 for an hour, and I have also used it straight out of the can into the mash, both work just fine with no discernible difference)

grains are:
11# pale malt (I use Skagit valley pilot pale, but any should work just fine)
2# Munich (10L)
1# Flaked Oats
.5# Chocolate (350SRM)
and 1# rice hulls.

My mash temp is 152 on this. I usually get my water into my mash tun, and scoop a few spoons into the water of the pumpkin (again either baked or non works) and some rice hulls, then the grain, all while stirring (this takes 2 people) and keep repeating until it is all in the mash tun. since this process takes me a while to stir good, I usually strike in at 156, so that by the time i am stirred and ready, I am back down to 152 for a 90 min mash.

I do a 90 min boil with the following additive/HOP scedule:
.35oz Magnum FWH
2oz Spalter Select at 15 min

1tsp Ground Ginger @ 10 min
1tsp Ground Cloves @ 10 min
1tsp Ground Nutmeg @ 10 min
2 whole cinnamon sticks @ 10 min
2 heaping cups light brown sugar @ 10 min

Once in the fermentor USE A BLOW-OFF TUBE!! I let this sit for roughly 2 weeks @ 68°, and then I secondary onto a tincture (posted below) of 2 whole vanilla beans.

tincture:
go buy yourself 2 whole vanilla bean pods (I use 2 because they usually arent fresh, if you can get fresh then 1 will suffice). I slit them long ways, and scrape the pod inside and put in a small jar, then cut the beans and put them in there along with about 1oz of vodka. THIS MUST BE DONE 2 WEEKS TO SIT BEFORE YOU PUT INTO THE SECONDARY.

When it is racking time, I pour the full tincture into the secondary, then rack ontop of it.

Finally, I let this sit for about 2 days and then begin cool down to 40°-45° for a week before I keg.

Carb to 2.3vol.

I just tried my Pumpkin Samhain recipe that I got from this site. It is good. Very mild. I would like just a bit more something??? Spice??? But where do I draw that line? LOL.

I’d suggest no more than 2tbs total of spices but some are much stronger than others, and no more than 4 sticks of cinnamon, but again it can get too strong if it’s very fresh. What does your current recipie use as is?

Back