Pumpkin Ale Recipe - Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smooshed_Snoot_Brew

Reaction score
Wanted to share this with you all and get your thoughts. My wife loves pumpkin.

8oz Carapils
8oz Caramel 10L
Steep Grains for 30 mins
Steep for 10 more mins - off heat

6 Lbs Golden Light Dried Extract Bring
8oz Brown Sugar,
3oz Molasses, & bring to boil

Follow Hop Schedule (I thought to go less hoppy so that more spice & pumpkin would shine through)

US Centennial 8.8 % 0.50 oz 60 Min From End
US Centennial 8.8 % 0.20 oz 45 Min From End
US Centennial 8.8 % 0.20 oz 30 Min From End
US Cascade 5.4 % 0.20 oz 20 Min From End
US Centennial 8.8 % 0.10 oz 20 Min From End
US Cascade 5.4 % 0.20 oz 15 Min From End
US Cascade 5.4 % 0.40 oz 5 Min From End
US Cascade 5.4 % 0.20 oz At flame out

At 10 mins remaining add 3 30oz Cans Libby's Easy Pumpkin Pie Mix

At 2 mins add spices
1 Tbs Cloves
1 Tbs Nutmeg
1 Tbs Cinnamon
1 Tbs Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 Tbs Ginger

Once in primary add 4 Tbs of Vanilla Extract & 1 tsp of Maple Flavor

OG before pitching was 1.076 at 75°

Let me know what you think?

Less hops. Try 1-1.25oz Centennial @60, and that's all. Hoppy aromas and pumpkin aromas don't play that well in the sandbox. Also if those spice additions are tablespoons you're going to have a very spicy beer. I add 1.5 teaspoons total to my pumpkin ale.

BTW this beer was awesome. Even people who don't like pumpkin beer like it. Very spicy and great on a cold (well here in the NE not so cold) winter night.

Of the 9 beers I've brewed thusfar, the Pumpkin Ale I made is easily my favorite and my recipe was similar to yours, but as the other guys suggested, less hops. I only had 2 oz total (1oz @60 and 1oz @10 min).

The Libby's is what I think makes this beer. I used the "pure pumpkin" as opposed to the "easy pie mix" and only used 2 30oz cans and I think it turned out great - this did add significantly to the trub, as I lost almost a gallon of precious beer to the pumpkin that settled out.

Back