Pumpkin Ale after 1 week

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewProject

Reaction score
Wow, impressed with this one too...

nicely carb'd already. as i stated in another thread, my first brew took 3 weeks to fully carbonate. However, this pumpkin ale is well on its way...

Has a nice mellow pumpkin taste with some nice hop flavor as well. Quite a nice mix of malt/pumpkin/hops... nice amberish, orange, pumpkinny color... :rockin:

Here's to homebrew :mug:

dcam1760zk4.jpg

If it's that carbonated after only a week, you might want to put the rest of the batch in the fridge :mug:

Someone needs to make a bottle bomb smilie....

Fatabbot said:
If it's that carbonated after only a week, you might want to put the rest of the batch in the fridge :mug:

Someone needs to make a bottle bomb smilie....

no doubt, a bottle bomb smiley is needed :rockin:

i really think a little more time is needed in the bottle for the pumpkin, especially after drinking one... but my Cherry Wheat is really close to being finished (another thread)...

think i will give the pumpkin a llittle while longer, but i have a Cherry Wheat in the fridge now, after just a week.

Drank one of those earlier tonight and they seem to be fully carb'd...

i love this sport, er, i mean hobby... :mug:

how was Vegas, come home a winner... ?

Orpheus said:
Hey Brew,

Refresh my memory.. what kind and how much spice did you use and how is it coming through in the taste?

i bought this kit
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=3614

here's the ingredients...
dcam1676sb9.jpg

plus, i added a 29 oz can of pumpkin and then added another 29 oz can of pumpkin to the secondary...

1st can of pumpkin went in halfway thru the boil...

it's not too bad at all.... GOTTA SAVE some for thanksgiving dinner.. :ban:

wow, definately my favorite brew i have done thus far.

very nice mellow pumpkin hint, with a great hops flavor...

nicely carbonated, with great body.

i will have to say, this one, just like my cherry wheat tastes better not so chilled. a little closer to room temp really brings out the flavors....

nice amber color too, pics to follow a little later...

P.S. the burp it creates brings on the the nice hoppy, pumpkin flavors :rockin: :mug: :D

Awsome. I am going to bottle my pumpkin ale tonight. How is the spice flavor? I am starting to wonder if I didn't use too much spice in mine. When I took a small taste (when I racked to the secondary), it had a pretty strong nutmeg taste, I used about 1.5tsp of nutmeg, and of Cinnamon.

Have you noticed any of the spices or any other flavors, mellowing as it ages?

dewey316 said:
Awsome. I am going to bottle my pumpkin ale tonight. How is the spice flavor? I am starting to wonder if I didn't use too much spice in mine. When I took a small taste (when I racked to the secondary), it had a pretty strong nutmeg taste, I used about 1.5tsp of nutmeg, and of Cinnamon.

Have you noticed any of the spices or any other flavors, mellowing as it ages?

My spice flavor is very mellow. My beer has more of a hoppy flavor with a hint of pumpkin/spices. btw, my kit only called for 1/2 tsp of nutmeg and Cinnamon.

It hasn't really had a chance to mellow much... just 3 weeks in the bottle as of Saturday.

good luck with your bottling :mug:

i really want to do a pumpkin ale as soon as my fermentors are free'd up. hopefully it'll be ready for thanksgiving time. the kit you bought seems to be a fair price, especially since you seem happy with the results. i'll probably try to spice it up a bit more, i like the bite of cinnamon and nutmeg. thanks

Hey BrewProject,
Pumpkin beers sound great.Can I just add pumpkin to a NB Amer.Wheat extract kit and expect a good one or should i build one from a recipe or buy a pumpkin kit proper.Thanks.:confused:

Onescalerguy said:
Hey BrewProject,
Pumpkin beers sound great.Can I just add pumpkin to a NB Amer.Wheat extract kit and expect a good one or should i build one from a recipe or buy a pumpkin kit proper.Thanks.:confused:

well i am still a beginner, only 4 brews finished...

however, i wouldn't think just adding pumpkin to a wheat would not do you quite right.

my kit had nutmeg, cinnamon and a very nice addition of some Mt Hood and Cascade hops....

The hops really make this beer, if you ask me...

check out the picture i took of the recipe and work from there :mug:

of course, homebrewing is what it's all about, so if you want add some pumpkin and try it. as long as it's beer it's all good :rockin:

but if you do it, i would add the nutmeg and cinnamon also...

best of luck :mug:

in my experiences with (drinking) pumpkin ale, its the spices that more remind me of pumpkin pie than the flavor of the pumpkin itself.

Wheat King said:
in my experiences with (drinking) pumpkin ale, its the spices that more remind me of pumpkin pie than the flavor of the pumpkin itself.

Yeah, I think that's the Idea. Also, that recipe calls for a cup of brown sugar. I just got my pumpkin kit from Midwest today. I got the AG version. This will be my first AG attempt. I'll be brewing it this Saturday. :mug:

are you guys following the mid west instructions or putting the pumpkin in earlier? how much fresh pumpkin are u using?

Add one can of pumpkin for last 5 minutes (Midwest recommends using one 30 oz can of pure pumpkin or for a more pronounced pumpkin flavor try even more). Alternatively, you can prepare a fresh pumpkin; cut the pumpkin flesh into 1 inch cubes, bake it at 350° for 5-10 minutes to soften, place in nylon boiling bag and add to boil for the last 5 minutes.

I brewed the same kit. Baked 30 oz of libby's at 350 for 30 minutes and threw it in the boil at 30 minutes. You only lose about half of it through the nylon bag, but we decided to just dump the rest in the ale pail anyway. Tasted it out of the secondary yesterday and it was phenomenal. Thinking about adding a spice tea to it though.

are you guys following the mid west instructions or putting the pumpkin in earlier? how much fresh pumpkin are u using?

Add one can of pumpkin for last 5 minutes (Midwest recommends using one 30 oz can of pure pumpkin or for a more pronounced pumpkin flavor try even more). Alternatively, you can prepare a fresh pumpkin; cut the pumpkin flesh into 1 inch cubes, bake it at 350° for 5-10 minutes to soften, place in nylon boiling bag and add to boil for the last 5 minutes.

i followed the midwest instructions, but i haven't brewed this beer again.

my buddy brewed the AHS pumpkin ale and we both prefer the midwest recipe...

we're gonna do the midwest pumpkin again and add the canned pumpkin half way through the boil... then add another 20 oz can in the secondary after spreading it out on a cookie sheet with foil on it and baking at 350 degrees for 1 hour...

the hop flavor in the midwest recipe really made it a better beer if you ask me... :)

I brewed the midwest kit and added a 30oz during the boil(I can't remember when... and I lost my note pad :( ) Then while it was in the primary I put two more 30oz cans, 2 tablespoons of malasses, and 60oz of water. I simmered it for a while and then added it directly to the primary. It's been sitting in a secondary for a while so I am just playing the waiting game...

I did the midwest kit but I found it didn't have enough pumpkin or spice flavor so when I racked to secondary I put in another 15oz can of pumpkin roasted with pumpkin spice and 1/2 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice tea. Gonna bottle it tonight hopefully will be good.

I started with 3 15oz cans during the boil

WOW! Seeing this thread has me drooling. I made a pumpkin ale back in Jan. I followed Yuri's Thunderstruck pumpking ale recipe. It has been aging nicely ever since. I plan to start drinking them soon. The last bottle I drank was last month, its turning into a really smooth drink. Thanks for reminding me I have it, I almost forgot I had it, and today is a day that I will crack another for tasting.

Back